Daggerfall Unity 0.16.0 Release Candidate

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.16.0 Release Candidate

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity 0.16.0 Release Candidate is now available for download! This is the final phase in the lead-up to 1.0. Mod creators should ensure their mods are compatible with this release in preparation for 1.0.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... v0.16.0-rc

All4

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.16.0 Release Candidate

Post by All4 »

Very exciting! How long before 1.0, assuming no big issues are found?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm hoping very soon. There are no major changes in 0.16 and 1.0 is just a matter up ticking up the version number. I have no more changes in the pipeline unless it's fixing a showstopper.

Any mods that already work with 0.15.x should also work with 0.16 or 1.0. But now's the time for mod creators to check compatibility and "certify" their mods to be 1.0-ready if possible. :)

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

1.0, we are almost there. This project has come a long way. :)

hurleybird

Post by hurleybird »

Looks like if the project ever gets up to 2023 LTS the splash can be removed anyway.

높은산_낮은산

Post by 높은산_낮은산 »

Great achievement. If it wasn't for the daggerfall unity, daggerfall would have been just one of the old Classic games for me. :)

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Has there been any additional thought about the code base post 1.0?
I've still got a couple mods I wrote last year that require code base modifications.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Dunny. :) For my part, I need the option to move on from DFU. This project has consumed the better part of the last 10 years of my life, not to mention all the years Daggerfall lived large in my mind from 2000 to 2014 when I was just making exploring tools and dismantling file formats for the heck of it.

At this stage in my life, I've achieved everything I set out to do with DFU. With the help of this amazing community, we even accomplished something much greater than I could have ever imagined. As far as fan remakes go, this one is truly something special.

But I can't go on maintaining the project, reviewing pull requests, testing and releasing builds, writing up release notes, and managing web sites and community for the rest of my natural life. I want to move on and make something of my own next. No, that's not strong enough. I need to move on and do something else while I'm still able to. Daggerfall has had enough of my years now.

The last Daggerfall thing I plan to release after DFU 1.0 is "DaggerfallConnect for Godot". This is just the core API / file reader parts of DFU ported into Godot with some examples on how to load content and layout basic scenes. With that foundation in place, DFU's gameplay code can be ported into Godot by motivated persons. This is my parting gift where hopefully I plant the seeds for a truly FOSS version of DFU in the future.

If that sounds disheartening, please look to games like Doom that have spun out into hundreds of different open source projects with different goals. This is what I want to happen to DFU - for it to evolve and mutate, to be remixed and reimagined for decades. Creative people like you are a vital part of that ecology, and that won't change. But it won't be me holding the reigns anymore. I'm letting go and seeing where it runs to.

Aliem

Post by Aliem »

I've been following this project closely (though as a lurker) since I heard about Daggerfall Tools for Unity at the old XL forums. I am so happy for you to have gotten to this incredible milestone after the years of your life you've poured into it. You're an amazing guy, and the team you've fostered here is likewise incredible.

Thanks for all the work everyone has done to make this dream a reality!

Node

Post by Node »

I'm thrilled I was able to play Daggerfall that ran amazingly well and had a lot of modern features. Thank you so much for all the time you've spent working on this.