[Version 0.15.4]Target at Range Spells Collision Bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
flup72

[Version 0.15.4]Target at Range Spells Collision Bug

Post by flup72 »

Very frequently, Target at Range Spells(The ones that Sorcerer players can absorb like Fireball and Ice Storm) don't explode when casting against walls or ground(and sometimes even at npc paperdolls), resulting in players with spell absoption not absorbing anything.
I swear I've seen a couple of times my Ice Storm bounce on the floor and back to my face and still not explode. Incredibly frustrating for Sorcerers especially, forcing me to always quicksave before casting destruction magic. Happened in version 0.14.x as well.

numidium3rd

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Target at Range Spells Collision Bug

Post by numidium3rd »

This is caused by projectiles spawning in front of the player to prevent collision with the player. It unfortunately results in spell missiles going through walls. The way it uses colliders sometimes causes the target to clip on top of the projectile too.

Edit: here's the PR I made for this a while back for tracking purposes https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... pull/2472/

flup72

Re: [Version 0.15.4]Target at Range Spells Collision Bug

Post by flup72 »

I hope there's a fix for this eventually. If it was only sometimes it would be fine, but for every 10 Ice Storms a cast against a wall 2 or 3 at least clip through and disappear. Oddly enough I have never missed an enemy with my spells(probably their hitbox is bigger), only paperdolls that can't be damaged anyway or walls/floors.