[0.16.1] Backspaceing produces a ? instead of erasing a character.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Taryl

[0.16.1] Backspaceing produces a ? instead of erasing a character.

Post by Taryl »

With a fresh install of 0.16.1, and seen again after disabling all mods and restarting a new game, for text fields Character Name, Class Name, map search field, if trying to backspace to correct a mistake, the last character is replaced by a ?. This only happens once, and further pressing of backspace does nothing, unless another character is entered and then backspace is pressed again, as such:

Press B U G (backspace) - Get BU?

Press B U G (backspace) S (backspace) S (backspace) U (backspace) C (backspace) K (backspace) - Get BU??????

I'm using the Linux build, but I haven't played DFU for a while, so I don't know when this started happening, or even if it's a DFU bug, though I haven't seen it anywhere else. Also, the ?s aren't just visual bugs, they appear in SaveData.txt and such for Character and Class names.

Cheers.

Interkarma

Re: [0.16.1] Backspaceing produces a ? instead of erasing a character.

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for raising. I've been able to reproduce on Linux, but not on Windows/Mac.

Now that I'm seeing this, I remember that I've seen this one before, many years ago. It's a Unity runtime bug on Linux that I had to workaround once, but is now happening again after refactoring input system for CJK keyboards. Here's the original fix.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... d20ed5393e

The core issue is that keys like backspace and escape are sending wrong char codes back up to application and creates spurious input.

I'll need to find another workaround that's still compatible with other platforms and CJK keyboards.

Interkarma

Re: [0.16.1] Backspaceing produces a ? instead of erasing a character.

Post by Interkarma »

I have a fix in testing now. I'll spin up some hotfix builds as soon as I'm happy with it.