Daggerfall unity is not starting

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Volksenchimer

Daggerfall unity is not starting

Post by Volksenchimer »

no matter what I do with old or new versions of the exe, it will not start. The icon appears with the newer version on my taskbar as disappears, the older versions render the daggerfall cursor and a small window with the logo and a red exclamation point. I have tried to install new versions but the exe will not launch, and I cannot reinstall DFU, please help me.

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall unity is not starting

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) Is this your first time installing DFU, or was it working previously and this just started happening?

Volksenchimer

Post by Volksenchimer »

no, this isnt my first time, I've been playing for a few years now, since 2020. I had just played a few days ago too, and I havent touched the files in this time at all, really not sure whats going on.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. If the game was working previously, a common fix for this problem is to delete the settings.ini file (how to locate) and restart game. This will restore default settings file and ask you to set game path again on next startup.

Let me know how you go. :)

Volksenchimer

Post by Volksenchimer »

this worked perfectly! thank you!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You're welcome, happy that helped! :)

I've recently added some hardening to help mitigate this particular problem. From 0.16.2, DFU should recover from settings.ini corruption, or at least automatically revert to defaults rather than freeze at startup.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 3ee77f3ad0

I'm not sure how settings become corrupted in the first place. I suspect game is crashing on close for some reason. But there are a lot of variables I can't control for (mods, etc.) so it might be tricky to pin down.