V. 1.6. Dark Menu and Dungeons Gamma Problem?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Heron

V. 1.6. Dark Menu and Dungeons Gamma Problem?

Post by Heron »

Hey There First First, Thanks for your work its just amazing to have that old game to work, and so Modding friendly.

Now my Problem:
My Menu, Journal, Inventory and all the Scrolls are very Dark. Also the Health Energy Bar in the left down corner. When i am Outside in a Town or in the Wilderness or Towns, the Gamma (Light/Dark) seems to work right. In Dungeons its to Dark (i know its Dark in Dungeons but even with light it have very dark corners)

I am using an old Mac Pro from 2011 to run the game it works nice.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Any Idee what could solve the Problem?

Thanks for your Time and again your great work.
Attachments
Wilderness.png
Wilderness.png (765.32 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Dark Inventory.png
Dark Inventory.png (271.9 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Dark Menu and Dungeon.png
Dark Menu and Dungeon.png (459.95 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

Interkarma

Re: V. 1.6. Dark Menu and Dungeons Gamma Problem?

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) I like to say a 2016+ GPU is required to be safe (especially for mod support), but some older GPUs can sometimes run it OK. In this case, I would suggest the HD Graphics 3000 is a bit old and doesn't have the same Metal capabilities, so the shaders don't work consistently compared to more recent hardware. Everything is generally tuned for a Metal-compatible GPU. I test on a Mac Mini M1 (2020) and don't have any older Macs to reproduce or even test for this problem.

I do have a clear idea where this is introduced however. It only affects UI rendering, not the world. I'll have a tinker with it and see if it's something I can help with. But 2011 hardware is really pushing it. I can only support so many platforms and rendering pathways before it becomes a bit cumbersome to maintain. :)

Heron

Post by Heron »

Thanks for your reply and that you try to figure it out. ( i know, i use an old Cow, in unity Version 1.35 it worked nice with no rendering problem)
Anyway thanks for your help and time.

pango

Post by pango »

Mmmmh UI brightness fix in 0.14.1 not working for all Macs alike?
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 14.1a-beta
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's the same problem with how Unity is rendering linear DrawTexture on Mac compared to other platforms. That fix was technically for Macs which support Metal - which should be most of them after about 2012. My baseline for DFU is a GPU manufactured after 2016, and the 2011 MacBook here is well below minimum specs.

I'd have to add yet another special pathway for older Macs. It's already messy for a platform used by a very small number of users. And the number of players impacted by this is even smaller, making the priority low. But in theory the fix here would be to disable the current Mac pathway for older Macs and fallback to using same method as Windows/Linux.

Other than just adding a manual setting, working out the correct platform to select that pathway will be a challenge. I don't have such an old Mac to test with and I don't want to risk any more regressions during RC stage if I can help it.