[0.16.1] Elysana's Betrayal location has wrong region in quest

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
reddesert

[0.16.1] Elysana's Betrayal location has wrong region in quest

Post by reddesert »

For a day or two I had been confused about how to complete the quest https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Ely ... s_Betrayal which in my save is using the location Wildertown. I play with quite a few mods on v0.16.0, so I tried loading up the save on a fresh copy of the game on v0.16.1 with no mods.

In both versions, Elysana tells me to head to the Alik'r Desert to find the town of Wildertown.

A location with this name does exist, however it is apparently in Daggerfall region. I have to admit, this did make me feel betrayed. However this was the correct location, as I was able to complete the quest there.

Based on how it's presenting itself, I was thinking this may be a bug, but posting here first for feedback.

Versions tested: 0.16.0, 0.16.1
My save should be attached.
Attachments
SAVE44.zip
Save file
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
Wildertown on travel map
Wildertown on travel map
wildertown.png (897.97 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
Elysana doubly betraying me
Elysana doubly betraying me
Screenshot 2023-11-10 174126.png (736.22 KiB) Viewed 7087 times

Interkarma

Re: Wildertown location has wrong region in quest

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, thank you for providing save. :)

I know what this is and why it says Alik'r specifically, but there's two possible precursors.

To help me narrow it down a bit - did you recently update to 0.16 from an older version, or have you been running 0.16 from the beginning with this character?

reddesert

Re: Wildertown location has wrong region in quest

Post by reddesert »

Thanks for the quick reply. I THINK I've played on 0.16.0 since the start of this character. It's been a while so I can't remember exactly because I know I downloaded classic Daggerfall from Steam before I downloaded DFU, so there's a small chance I started on classic.. not entirely sure.

It's not a game blocking issue so far, more just wanted to report it since I couldn't find what could be causing it.

Interkarma

Re: [0.16.1] Elysana's Betrayal location has wrong region in quest

Post by Interkarma »

I've seen this reported a couple times now. It must be a bug in recent versions. I won't be able to fix it in 0.16.2, as those builds are already done. But I'll aim to fix before 1.0.

reddesert

Post by reddesert »

Thanks for the support! This felt like a big bug and would probably cause some players to drop the game with a bad taste in their mouth if it happened on a main quest like this if they don't feel like searching around all the different regions. Maybe an expanded way to search the map (through console?) could also limit that scenario.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've fixed this one up now. The regionIndex was not stored correctly in one case, resulting in wrong region name being displayed.

Unfortunately this requires restarting quest to pass down correct index when quest compiles, so bug will remain for anyone where quest compiled on an affected version even after updating. It will be fixed next time quest compiles on a fixed version (e.g. 1.0).