Tutorial - How to localize DFU

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Daneel53

Re: Tutorial - How to localize DFU

Post by Daneel53 »

If you read my translation tutorial, you will see that we had to develop a specific procedure in order to generate correct shop names in our language.

This procedure is written in C# and must be provided as a mod to work properly. Source code for French is given in the file packages given with the tutorial.

I agree that this is not an easy task because you need to know how to code and generate a mod, but there is no other way to do that because just replace StoresA and xxxStoresB just doesn't work into all other languages than English.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi happy translators!

To celebrate the new year, I've put on line a new release of my DFU translation tutorial and associated files. What's new inside? Mainly two things.

First, I introduce a new program of mine, DFUGenLocQuests.
This program permits to generate all the quest *-LOC.txt fles from the quest files that are provided into the DFU folder StreamingAssets/Quests. This will avoid translators to build these files by hand from the English quest files. A lot of time saving here.
Note that this program is also able to generate *-LOC.txt files for quest packs as QP1.

Second, I totally changed the way to build subtitled videos.
Thanks to Jagget that showed me the way, we will now use only Handbrake and not anymore VLC, as far as we use subtitles in ASS format produced by the subtitle editor Aegisub. Not only this new way permits to do the job in two passes instead of three, but the final MP4 videos for Windows are now encoded in H.264 and not anymore in H.265. This is important because w0fie made me understand that the codec H.265 is not installed on all PCs, which cause the subtitled videos not be displayed on these PCs.

All this is clearly explained in the tutorial.

DFUGenLocQuests.exe, English subtitles in ASS format, presets and styles have been added to the file pack that comes with the tutorial.

So please take with the following links : The archive of the second link is encrypted with the password DFUTutorial because it contains executable files.

If you have remarks upon the tutorial, don't hesitate to report here. :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

That is a nice New Year present, thanks, Daneel!

Is the purpose of the DFUGenLocQuests just to move files and rename them?
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

No. It extracts from the quest files the lines needed to build the *-LOC.txt files to translate, that must contain only a part of them: Quest number, DisplayName and only the QRC part.

In fact, Interkarma could use my program to generate all the quest LOC files and deposit them into Text/Quests, ready to be translated, as he did with the books.
Last edited by Daneel53 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Wait, are you saying that I can delete QBN from -LOC quests and they will work still? And is this even the preferable way?

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Yes. The quest LOC files are supposed to contain only the first two lines and the QRC part. The QBN part is read from the original quest files in StreamingAssets/Quests.
This is what is written into the file readme.txt that is provided with the distribution of DFU into StreamingAssets/Text/Quests. ;)

This permits to fix if needed the QBN part of a quest if a bug is discovered, without obligning all the translators to modify their files and put in line a new release of the translation if the displayed text is unchanged.
Last edited by Daneel53 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Interesting. I translated QP1, I used only -LOC quests with QBN, that way users won't need to download both. And it works.
So, if there's no original, then DFU reads QBN from -LOC quests.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Daneel53 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:10 pm This permits to fix if needed the QBN part of a quest if a bug is discovered, without obligning all the translators to modify their files and put in line a new release of the translation if the displayed text is unchanged.
Now that's a great point. But changing it now for my QP1 translations seems unreasonable :?

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi happy translators!

As written in my tutorial, the translated file Internal-RSC.csv is one of the most difficult to set up because the required syntax is touchy, notably because of the quotes to be doubled or not depended the context.

In order to help translators, I've created a new tool dedicated to check the syntax of the translated Internal_RSC: DFUCheckRSC.

For each numbered record, this tool is able to detect errors as missing first ou last quote, non doubled quotes, quoted text with missinf end quotes or missing tag [/end]. So please use this tool upon your localized files Internal_RSC.csv and fix the errors until there is none.

Note: If you check with this tool the English file Internal_RSC.csv provided with DFU, you will discover that it contains several errors: 9 Missing [/end] and 1 An internal quote is not closed for record 263 where there should be at the end a "" between offer. and [/center] as in the previous records. It is possible that the DFU parser accept these records, but normally it should not and I recommend to fix the error at the end of record 263 and to close all records with a [/end] as they all should be. These ten errors come directly from the file TEXT.RSC of the classic Daggerfall where they are already present, but I don't think that those errors should be reproduced in DFU.
I really think that the English file Internal_RSC.csv provided with DFU should be fixed!

The tutorial and the Files folder have been updated. Please take with the following links : The archive of the second link is encrypted with the password DFUTutorial because it contains executable files.

If you have remarks upon the tutorial or the tools that I provide, don't hesitate to report here. :)

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Thanks! Checked my RSC file - it's correct :D

Oh no! I just noticed that this app creates a log file. Haha
Looks like I have 5 /ends missing