Tutorial - How to localize DFU

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Daneel53

Tutorial - How to localize DFU

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello guys,

Now that the French localization of DFU is complete, it is time to explain to the community how we realized this.

I wrote a complete tutorial that explain all the files that are to be produced in order to fuly localize DFU and what tools we used in order to achieve that.
As we had to develop specific tools and procedures, I provide with the tutorial all the tools and files that you will need to do the same as we did.

You can take the tutorial and the files here in the following archive:
[... Waiting for Google Drive approval...]

French localization of DFU was a joined work done by Pango and I.
It rely on the translation of classic Daggerfall done many years ago by the Project French Daggerfall team.

I you have any remark on the content of the tutorial or need detailed explanation upon a specific point, please don't hesitate to use the present subject to contact us.

I hope that this tutorial shall be usefull to all the teams that are trying to localize DFU in the world. :)
Last edited by Daneel53 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Daneel53

Re: Tutorial - How to localize DFU

Post by Daneel53 »

I discovered this afternoon that Google says that my archive contain viruses.

I can assess that this is not the case and that it contain only safe files. If not convinced, check the archive with your antivirus before opening it. I required to Google a deeper analysis, let's hope the alert message shall be removed soon... :?
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

OK, let's try to pass the bloking of my files by Google Drive.

First, here is a link toward the tutorial PDF document only: https://bit.ly/3SWPWKc
This one should be OK for Google. Don't be afraid with the bit.ly link, this is only an indirect link toward my Google Drive that permits me to know how many times this file will be downloaded.

Then here is the link toward the files: https://bit.ly/3RgCUGl
The archive is encrypted, the password is simply DFUTutorial
It seems that now that the folder with files is encrypted, Google Drive will not claim any more that there are virus in my files. 8-)

And anyway, to have separated the tutorial PDF and the files shall permit the users to first read the tutorial and then take the files if they think they will be useful for them.

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Amazing tutorial! I made almost the same work when translated Daggerfall, some of it by hand :D

In section "4 - Shop names in towns", though, I'd say that if your language and creativity permits, you don't need C# code. You can use StoresA and ***StoresB lines from Internal_Strings.csv, as well as TavernsA and TavernsB for, apparently, taverns.
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Thanks!

To simply use StoresA and StoresB (or TavernA and TavernB) cannot give a correct result from a French grammary point of vue, and it is probably the same in other languages. English is a simple language that permit this kind of thing, because for example objects have no genre, adjectives do not have to be modified following the genre, adjectives are before the names, etc. But it is not the case for more complicated languages as French, German and many others.

Ex: "The black woman" -> "La femme noire" in good French. This can't be translated correctly only by saying StoreA= noir (black) and StoreB = femme (woman), because "The StoreA StoreB" would give "Le noir femme", which is totally incorrect. :)

Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Daneel53 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:49 pm Thanks!

To simply use StoresA and StoresB (or TavernA and TavernB) cannot give a correct result from a French grammary point of vue, and it is probably the same in other languages
I know, I translated it to Russian, but nonetheless, I managed to do so. In "TavernsB", for example I didn't translate everything word by word, but made all items as "male" words. For example, for "dog" we can take "собака" (female) or "пёс" (male). So then "TavernsA" can easily be translated knowing that. Maybe it's not possible in French, I'm sorry.

Other than that, yes, I understand your pain, and yeah, English is a too much simple language! :D
Daggerfall Russian Translation

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

I realized this morning that I forgot to put into the Files archive the source code for the Shop names procedure.

I've just added them with a small explanation and updated the Files archive. Those interrested may take it again. :)

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Thanks Daneel - very comprehensive and well written guide. I put this as a sticky topic, as this can't be better summarised. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

pango

Post by pango »

Hi Daneel53,
In French, all adjectives are behind the name, so you can see false everywhere, but this can be different in other languages, or depend of the adjective.
Well, there's currently (only) one adjective that uses that feature, "Meilleur".
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

FeMaster

Post by FeMaster »

Hey guys, i'm really confused on how to translate shop and buildings names, i have download all mods but i don't know how to proceed, i need to change the order of phrases, ex: ''The black woman'' to ''a mulher negra'' but translating at the text files it appears like ''a negra mulher'', and its wrong. :(
Shy necromancer