Importing dungeon into Unity standalone

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
CMc

Importing dungeon into Unity standalone

Post by CMc »

Hello,

First off, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

My name is Chris, I am composer with little to no experience in game design (further apologies for ignorance) and I am currently interested in testing an interactive/dynamic re-score of a Daggerfall dungeon for an MA project.
I was wondering if the community might have any tips that might save me time on the environmental construction?

I had thought I would have to design and build a dungeon myself within Unity from the individual textures, until I discovered the Daggerfall Workshop modeler, which made me think I might be able to import a dungeon wholesale, which of course you can't do with that program. Might there be a way to do this at all? Or to perhaps access larger pieces than the blocks exportable from DM?

Many thanks.

CMc

Re: Importing dungeon into Unity standalone

Post by CMc »

So... I have managed to use the dumpblock command in DFU to create a JSOL that is accessible in Unity via the Daggerfall Tools WorldData Editor. Unfortunately the only data I appear to be able to view in the Unity hierarchy for the block is billboard data.

I understand this could be due to my inexperience with Unity, which I shall have to get to know better. In the meantime I'll share my progress thus far just incase someone stumbles across this and fancies wading in.

Many thanks.

CMc

Re: Importing dungeon into Unity standalone

Post by CMc »

Alright. So, I've got the starting block for Privateer's Hold loaded up in Unity and have managed to move some scenery which has translated into the DFU world. Huzzah. So far, so good. I figure perhaps I could run my demo of the re-score within DFU in the starting Dungeon... but alas, I should have realised that audio is not linked to individual blocks.

Will it be possible to implement a dynamic (layered) soundtrack for privateer's hold into Unity from a program such as Wwise, that could be implemented as a mod? For example, I have seen that numidium3rd on Nexus has managed to create a "battle" music (& custom playlists) mod, though I realise this is perhaps more attainable due to the global nature of encounters.

Or would it be possible to essentially build a "new game" in Unity using the DFU source project that consists of just Privateer's Hold w/ adaptable score? I understand that DFU's leveraging of the OG might make this more difficult, but perhaps there's a way to script it to run to a custom song player that reacts to triggers instead? Could this even be done by editing a script for the dungeon category across DFU generally?

Many thanks.