DFU 1.0 - Screen size changes to resolution on transitions or leaving Controls menu

Moderators will move topics here from Help & Support once an issue has been confirmed and enough information provided to reproduce.
flup72

DFU 1.0 - Screen size changes to resolution on transitions or leaving Controls menu

Post by flup72 »

Hey, I just downloaded the windows 1.0 version and I'm facing an annoying little issue.

I'm playing on maximized windowed mode with a resolution of 1200x800 and every time I leave the Controls menu(the Keybinding one) inside the game, the game changes from maximized mode to the resolution I set.

This also happens when DFU transitions from splash screen to DFU menu and DFU menu to game.

I tested with Fullscreen and the same thing happens but even worse. If I have fullscreen set and I change to windowed mode by Alt+Enter, opening and closing the Controls menu the game jumps back to Fullscreen, but the aggressive jump back to Fullscreen messes the size of any folder or internet browser I have opened and then DFU minimizes itself. Tring to open the minimized DFU just messes the screen resolution and minimizes itself again.

This didn't happen to me on 0.16.1(The last version I played). I even deleted my old settings.ini to let 1.0 version create a new one to avoid any issues. I even disabled all mods to test and the issue persisted.

Is this a bug or is there an option on settings that I have to pick I'm not aware?

Interkarma

Re: DFU 1.0 - Screen size changes to resolution on transitions or leaving Controls menu

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :)

The windowing and resolution are set only once by DFU at start-up, and it's managed entirely by the Unity Runtime. This doesn't change while you're playing the game, so no idea why you're experiencing this. There haven't been any changes to this side of things for some years now.

Here are some general things to try that may or may not help:
  • In addition to deleting settings.ini, try deleting the registry key at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity". Right-click and delete the whole "Daggerfall Unity" key at this folder (don't delete anything else). This is where the Unity Runtime caches some video settings, and maybe something screwy in there.
  • Always use your native monitor resolution or at least in the same aspect. 1200x800 is a rather strange resolution - it's usually seen in odd places like vehicles and media centres with integrated displays. Double-check you're using the correct resolution for your monitor - e.g. 1920x1080, 2560x1440, etc.
  • Open settings.ini and look for "ExclusiveFullscreen" setting. This is False by default, which creates a fullscreen borderless window and is usually the most compatible option. But try it both ways and see how you go.
  • Make sure you have a supported GPU and drivers are up-to-date. Most DirectX11 capable GPUs will be compatible, but I recommend a discrete GPU equal to a GTX 660 or greater.
  • Try a different external monitor just to rule that out. Some monitors also require their own drivers.
  • Make sure you extracted new version into it's own folder, not on top of the old version, just to rule that out as well.
Because this is controlled by the Unity Runtime, it's also not likely to be something I can fix easily. If you are able to make progress, please share your outcome and hopefully it will help someone else with the same problem in future.

flup72

Re: DFU 1.0 - Screen size changes to resolution on transitions or leaving Controls menu

Post by flup72 »

I tried most of things you said and they didn't work, but after downloading the 0.16.1 and testing it again the bug also ocurred so the issue is definitely on my end, not on DFU 1.0.

About your advices:

1) I deleted the settings.ini, the settings.bak and the DFU registry but the issue remained.

2) The 1200x800 is because I like playing while watching youtube or videos or reading something else on the side and this resolution gives me a confortable size to see the game well while also having some space for the other activities. Changing to my monitor resolution didn't work, no matter the resolution the maxed window "unmaxes" and repositions itself on the center of my screen.

3) Funny enough tried ExclusiveFullscreen today before you even suggested, but also didn't work.

4) I don't really know how to check if the drivers are up to date so I will google it later and test, but I have not installed or uninstalled or messed in any way with the drivers on this notebook and have not experienced any issues on other games I am playing.

5) I don't have other monitors so I can't check this. Sorry.

6) I have extracted on a new folder for the 1.0 version so this isn't it.

I will try restarting my pc and check the drivers later, but for now I just wanted to do a quick update to say it's not 1.0 fault.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sorry that wasn't more helpful. It's most likely how Unity is handling fullscreen/window toggle at non-native resolutions, though no idea why exiting controls is triggering a return to windowed mode. It might be something we can workaround in DFU, even if it is something peculiar to windowed setup and Unity Runtime.

All I can suggest from here is trying the following settings for a bit and not using Alt+Enter at all. This isn't quite the setup you want, but it seems to be stable on my test machines across Windows, Linux, Mac. I'm also curious if just setting things up this way fixes the problem of flipping back to windowed mode when exiting controls UI.

Code: Select all

[Video]
ResolutionWidth = 1920
ResolutionHeight = 1080
VSync = True
TargetFrameRate = 0
Fullscreen = True
ExclusiveFullscreen = False

flup72

Post by flup72 »

I just restarted my pc and tested the settings you sugested. The jump wasn't so aggressive from windowed back to Fullscreen but the bug still ocurred. I also noticed that with 'ExclusiveFullscreen = True' the game flickered for a frame when closing the Controls UI, but with 'ExclusiveFullscreen = False' the flicker didn't happen.

I also discovered 2 other things while messing around:

1) Leaving the DFU setting menu doesn't cause the screen resize unless I change the Resolution or the Quality Level on Video tab. Didn't know about the Quality Level one before.

2) If DFU is minimized between the transitions(from splash screen to DFU menu and DFU menu to game) the game doesn't resize itself.

I don't know how useful this information is.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for update. Yeah, setting quality might be resetting display context. Not sure what to do about that right now. I'll move into issues and maybe some progress can be made later.