Armor Affects Movement (WIP)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
redmoss

Armor Affects Movement (WIP)

Post by redmoss »

UPDATE: The main functionality of the mod is now in place, see latest releases; I would appreciate any testing feedback or comments on code!

My first attempt at a mod, I would really appreciate feedback on the mod and the code and if anyone wants to try it out (see Releases section in Github).

https://github.com/red-moss2/ArmorAffectsMovement

The overall plan for the mod is to make the weight of your equipped armor and weapons have an effect on movement speed, climbing and jumping, factoring in the player's strength. There is a setting you can adjust to make this overall effect weaker or stronger.

This means that completely tanked out daedric chars will basically not be able to move as fast or climb effectively, whereas leather wearing dagger types can move freely and jump and climb to outwit their enemies. Heavily armored characters will need to improve their speed by magical means if they want to have good manoeuvrability, thus creating more space for hybrid "magic tank" playstyle.

Horse and cart speed is not affected (as far as my testing goes) nor is overall encumbrance factored in, because that would just be tedious for getting about more generally.

Right now only walk and run speed is implemented, I am going to do jump height then look into modifying the climbing failure rates dependent on load. I also want to make it so that sprinting in heavy armor confers a bigger endurance penalty, and have an option to boost jump heights a bit as a baseline.

Here's a chart of the default settings to give you an idea of how speed is affected as a function of strength and weight. For example, a player of 50 strength with about 50kg of equipment will move at 70% of their usual speed. Values over 1 in this sheet are clamped to 1 in the mod.

Last edited by redmoss on Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: Armor Affects Movement (WIP)

Post by King of Worms »

Looks like a great idea, and jump improvement will be very welcomed.

redmoss

Post by redmoss »

Thank you! :D

I've just done a new release that now modifies jump height. I've increased the baseline jump height (there's an option to reduce it to vanilla levels if desired), so that characters in light armor with an investment in jumping should be more versatile; wearing heavier armor will of course mitigate most of this.

My testing benchmark was: A character with high jumping and running wearing all leather and a daedric one-hander should be able to vault onto the roof of a small house; which is more fitting for an expert escape artist like a burglar or thief. Thus they benefit from having an end-game weapon, but are still limited by armor.

https://github.com/red-moss2/ArmorAffec ... /tag/0.0.4

The remaining major change outstanding is to apply penalties to climbing based on equip weight.

Updated default values chart below:

harbinger451

Post by harbinger451 »

This is a fantastic idea and I look forward to a finished version. With regard climbing, will this address the problem of Advanced Climbing being busted (in that climbing skill doesn't affect climbing ability after your initial climb attempt and you never slip after that)?

redmoss

Post by redmoss »

Thanks!

I've just released a new version 0.0.5 which now implements climbing penalties for heavy armor. Thus the mod is mostly feature complete, it just needs a lot of testing now, and any comments on the code!

https://github.com/red-moss2/ArmorAffec ... t/releases
harbinger451 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:28 pm This is a fantastic idea and I look forward to a finished version. With regard climbing, will this address the problem of Advanced Climbing being busted (in that climbing skill doesn't affect climbing ability after your initial climb attempt and you never slip after that)?
It won't, but good news is there's a PR to fix that in place: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ssues/2560, so this will be fixed a future DFU release version, all being well! Right now this mod has only been tested with vanilla climbing mechanics in mind, but I will definitely re-test the mod when the fix goes in because I'm just as keen to see it work!