Alternate use of Luck attribute

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
DunnyOfPenwick

Alternate use of Luck attribute

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Luck, as implemented in the base game, is basically just agility with a different name.
It increases chance to hit and decreases chance to be hit, by the same amount as agility.
Various mods have added additional uses for the stat.

If you look at combat mechanics, various factors (including luck) are added in to determine the base to-hit chance.
Before making the hit check, that value is clamped between 3 and 97, giving a 3% chance of automatic success and a 3% chance of automatic failure. This type of mechanism is pretty common.

I'm thinking the Luck stat should be used to determine the clamping values. A char with 100 luck might have a 10% chance of automatic success and a 0% chance of automatic failure. A low luck char would obviously be reversed.

Magicono43

Re: Alternate use of Luck attribute

Post by Magicono43 »

I've used Luck in various different ways in most of my mods, and yeah, something like you mentioned probably wouldn't be the worst way to use it for combat rolls at the least.

alteraward

Post by alteraward »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:25 pm Luck, as implemented in the base game, is basically just agility with a different name.
It increases chance to hit and decreases chance to be hit, by the same amount as agility.
Various mods have added additional uses for the stat.

If you look at combat mechanics, various factors (including luck) are added in to determine the base to-hit chance.
Before making the hit check, that value is clamped between 3 and 97, giving a 3% chance of automatic success and a 3% chance of automatic failure. This type of mechanism is pretty common.connections game

I'm thinking the Luck stat should be used to determine the clamping values. A char with 100 luck might have a 10% chance of automatic success and a 0% chance of automatic failure. A low luck char would obviously be reversed.
If it only has a 3% chance of success, that's a bit low. But 10% is not much more. If only it could increase further.

Alderwood

Post by Alderwood »

I personally like random events tied to how lucky / unlucky a PC is, like in the Fallout series. It's the most entertaining application of luck and you immediately know when it takes effect. EX: You're given an option to pet a mangey dog. With good luck the dog leads you to a sack of gold, and with bad luck the dog turns into a werewolf :)