Real Time Stamina

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Syl

Re: Real Time Stamina

Post by Syl »

By the way, can we expect to finish such a long game, with continuous updates jeopardizin all our mods configuration, and their possible bugs?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

We're almost to 1.0, and very little of the gameplay is changing now; Interkarma created a feature lock specifically to give people a sense of stability as they develop mods. There should be very few game engine changes in the future.

Syl

Post by Syl »

Another quest solved, cheers!

alephnaught

Post by alephnaught »

Came here looking for modding tutorials with the (eventual) intention of implementing more-or-less exactly what's proposed here. :D

A quick drain, quick recharge stamina system would add a lot of dynamism and excitement to combat. It could give more purpose to different attack types (a quick thrust using less stamina, but doing less damage than a big overhead swing) and could further help differentiate gear with some weapons being bigger stamina drains, and heavier armour also impacting on this.

I think having Stamina and Fatigue as two separate meters would be overcomplicating things - perhaps I'm too modern in my attitude to game design but imo we shouldn't add additional abstractions for the player to keep tabs on if we can use existing ones. I like the suggestion above of having stamina be a % of fatigue which regenerates, but any fatigue consumed beyond that doesn't until you rest. This is realistic, it's like doing three sets of 20 push ups versus doing sixty in one go, even a moderately fit person is gonna need a bit of a lie down after attempting the latter. It's also easy to represent visually, you'd just have stamina represented by a lighter portion at the top of the fatigue bar.

To make overexertion more impactful I would suggest that the regeneration rate should itself be tied to your current total - at full fatigue you'll recover stamina quite quickly. However if you push yourself too hard and drain your fatigue down to 25%, your stamina recovery rate will be significantly reduced also.