Levelling up every time I fast travel to different type of place [not-reproducable]

Hazelnut

Levelling up every time I fast travel to different type of place [not-reproducable]

Post by Hazelnut »

I was testing the holiday text by fast travelling to various places and I kept getting new points and levels without any skills going up. Didn't happen every time, but seemed to be connected with the holiday message firing. I got repeated levelups because I was specifically getting the holiday messages to popup to check the macro implementation.

This is with code from git (commit 299b06eb6544780bdbc7b9f8a65a8fab36e55727) and has been present for a few days at least.
Last edited by Hazelnut on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Levelling up every time I fast travel to different type of place

Post by Interkarma »

One thing to rule out, did you use "setmqstage x" at some point on that character? This artificially lowers level for the scenario, and can have some strange levelling results over time if you keep playing.

It could still be another bug, I've just noticed this behaviour around mqstage.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nope, never used that command. I'm actually trying to avoid all main quest stuff so I don't spoil it for myself... :oops:

I plan to play it through properly for the first time once DFU is ready.

Oh it also occurs in the latest ZetaPlays DFU video as well so not just me.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for feedback. :)

Allofich, any ideas on this one?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Actually, I wonder if this is a follow-on effect from the previous TallySkill() bug? Even though the skillID issue is fixed, your character would have previously undergone some unusual/unintended skill accrual while the bug was active.

That bug has been active for a little while unfortunately. Best way to test fresh is to import a classic character (or start a new one) and try to reproduce this problem again.

I just spent a short time with a new character and re-imported my usual guy from classic save. I wasn't able to reproduce problem with them, but I was with my longer-running test character.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

You level up when the sum of your main skills' levels are above a certain amount, so repeated leveling up should only happen if your skills are somehow so high that you meet the requirement not just for your first level but the next one, and maybe the one after that, etc. The first thing that comes to mind is, did you somehow hack your character to raise their skills? I have had this happen a few times when hacking test characters' skills in order to test things. This problem could also happen if you artificially lowered your character level, like Interkarma said.

The holiday stuff should be unrelated. I don't think the TallySkill() bug could have caused this either. Hazelnut, if you can reproduce the problem, first try checking your character sheet to see if you hacked your skills or level and forgot about it. You could also try going to CalculatePlayerLevel() in FormulaHelper.cs and printing out the values for currentLevelUpSkillsSum and startingLevelUpSkillsSum or the calculated level from that formula (which is the level you are "supposed to be" that you will continue to gain levels to until you reach) and seeing if there is anything weird there, like 0 for startingSkillsSum or something. If there is, maybe startingSkillsSum isn't being saved to or read correctly from saved data.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the info Allofich. :)

Hazelnut, do you still have a save from prior to this happening for repro purposes and to review the save data?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The character in question is one I created in DFU a few weeks ago and has only got out of PH and done some shop testing. No hacks or anything. Using him for holidays tests because he just happened to arrive at Daggerfall city on a holiday which had the undefined %ct macro.

It's possible that the holiday save has some built up behind the scenes skill uses tallied, but he definitely doesn't have high skills or anything. He's lvl 3 and when testing holidays by travelling around local places during the single holiday day he got as high as level 6/7 before I reloaded.

Was hoping someone would know what this was, as I couldn't discern a definitive pattern. I will see what happens with an earlier save and then do some investigation.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I had a quick play with the earliest save for this char over lunch and found that just repeated resting got him to level 11. Think there's definitely something wierd with the save data. I've put the relevant bit below. If it looks wrong and that it could prompt the behaviour I've seen then we can close this bug report. This save was created on 13th Sept by starting a char and legit playing through (quickly) PH then travelling to Daggerfall to try selling at a shop. No hacks, mods, cheats or anything. Fatigue seems quite high... as does the skill use figure of 772. So looks like save was messed up by bugs which are now fixed then.

Code: Select all

"maxHealth": 75,
            "currentHealth": 1,
            "currentFatigue": 8492,
            "currentMagicka": 24,
            "skillUses": [
            ],
            "timeOfLastSkillIncreaseCheck": 537490,
            "startingLevelUpSkillSum": 32,

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

the skill use figure of 772.
I counted down the list and that's the tally for the running skill, right? I assume you must have imported this character from classic. The running skill is different from other skills in that it is tallied constantly while your running so I don't think it's unusual that classic would have tallied it that high.

The startingLevelUpSkillSum of 32 is weird, though, and probably what is causing the problem. I think a usual starting sum is like, 150 or something like that. Maybe the sum wasn't or isn't being imported correctly from classic saves.

The fatigue value is normal. Internally it's 64 times what you see on the character sheet.