[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
cloudydaggerfall

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by cloudydaggerfall »

Thank you for your help, on your thread I posted my save file so you can look at it.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Was a few weeks back but v2.2.1 is released. A minor update adding settings for players who wish to disable the rank restriction if high rank in Mages Guild and the pacification formula override.

Get it from https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

v2.3 is now released with another quest written by JayH.

Thanks Jay for all the quests, this mod would be rather hollow without your contribution!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

v2.4 is now released with two non-member (one time) quests written by JayH. Also the in-game guild book list of towns with guild halls are now listed alphabetically.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This sort of a bug report was posted onto the UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod ... aeologists
It doesn't say the numbers but I had 40 stealth 40 climbing and it wouldn't let me join until I increased a language: 15 dragonish. Hopefully this helps someone

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:14 am This sort of a bug report was posted onto the UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod ... aeologists
It doesn't say the numbers but I had 40 stealth 40 climbing and it wouldn't let me join until I increased a language: 15 dragonish. Hopefully this helps someone
Maybe between one try and the other he levelled up and increased his INT to 40?

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

Or simply 30 days had passed

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Could easily be one of those. Either way I am not concerned unless all the vanilla guilds exhibit the same issue - it's all exactly the same code running, except Archs also does an INT check after the skill check is done.

StarMadeKnight

Post by StarMadeKnight »

Hey Hazelnut, you mentioned an interest in some custom NPC sprites for this mod - what're your thoughts on these? The Daedra summoner is based on an unofficial Michael Kirkbride illustration so I'm not sure if it's too out there for Daggerfall but it was an interesting challenge to try to make it match the vanilla art style :)

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Reconsile

Post by Reconsile »

I talked about this in the DFU discord, going to just copy and paste my text here. It is only my opinion and not a request for you to change it, just thought may be interested on the feedback. There are two parts: Rank Name Reordering and Quests to increase roleplay/immersion of being that rank

i feel like the names could be ordered better
feels weird to be going from a field director into a novice
esp when you are half way through the ranks already
in my mind it would make more sense when ordered as:

Novice
Apprentice
Journeyman
Field Assistant
Field Agent
Field Associate
Field Officer
Field Director
Professor
Master

>>the train of thought being the novice denotes little to no experience, commonly used to describe someone new
apprentice being the ability to work under a master/teacher
progressing into journeyman means you are a now a trainer employee but nothing exemplary
not after being trained, you are (in lore) given permission to assist with field operations as a Field Assistant
more experience makes you into a proper Field Agent
an Associate has many meanings but a common one is used to describe employees with a mid level position
which think works being the kinda sorta middle point between agent and officer
associates are also like mini managers able to command a couple of people
Field Officer in simple terms the managers, enforcing and keeping everyone focused on tasks, the more hands on sociable
Field Directors are the managers of the entire project (ie digsite excavation)
have power to anoint officers to while the director handles the big picture
finally after all that experience you have enough to become a knowledgeable Professor and teach/train the novice/apprentice/journeyman
eventually upgrading into a Master of all <<

One user added that they have a friend who has experience with excavation teams and they follow a pattern of new members needing to be trained and doing some "inside" work before being authorized/certified to work "outside" in the dig. So the new ranking order at least my name kind of emulates this.

With idea of new ranking order, one user even chimed in with an idea >>Could be an interesting transition for the quests in the guild. Starting out doing mundane research assistance and message delivery.
Then getting higher in rank and being allowed to actually delve into dungeons and such for relics, etc<<

Basically, until you are of "Field" status, you do not do any direct dungeon related quests as they may be deemed too dangerous for a novice/apprentice.

There was also talk about ways to diversify the quests so that you properly feel your role/rank with the guild:
>>are enemies set in their dungeons?
if so
then novice rank could just be a collection of very simple fetch/delivery quests
nothing really exciting
apprentice/journeyman could spice it up with your "mentor" needing assistance and requires a certain ingredient
lets say daedra heart
which you could choose to solve by going to alchemist shops
(perhaps one would be willing to part with it for a favour)
or you could solve it by finding a dungeon filled with daedra to drop them
fetch/delivery quest but with some spice
get asked to pick up some scrolls that have important info
only to find it is a trap and they plan to ransom you to your mentor
etc etc
then once you are into the field roles that is where more of the direct dungeon quests take place
or being asked to mediate peace using language skills<<

I know having played through the mod for about a dozen hours, a few quests do touch on the points made above, so it would only be more about the order in which what rank unlocks that style of quest or similar.

Hopefully what was written is not too confusing and once again this is not a request/demand to do them, just some ideas I thought might interesting and curious on what your thoughts would be on them.