idea for a better critical hit mod

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

idea for a better critical hit mod

Post by jayhova » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 pm

I was asking myself how critical hits could be done in a non-game breaking way. So I came up with this idea. Scrap the current bonus to hit system. instead Crits work like this:

there is a standard success check to see if the skill is applied. On success the PC rolls normal damage. the PC then gets a second roll that is multiplied by 1/100 of the skill, the result rounded up to the nearest whole number.

So at a skill of 50 half the time you will damage1 + (damage2 x .50)
At a skill of 100 all the time you will damage1 + damage2

I strongly suggest not just multiplying damage1 by .01x skill as this will flatten out the results curve
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. DFU Ver. Alpha 0.10.7

Firebrand

Re: idea for a better critical hit mod

Post by Firebrand » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 pm

I like it :)

I suggest a name for the mod: Real Critical Strike :lol: :lol: :lol:

jayhova

Post by jayhova » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:29 pm

I do like the idea that the luck stat could modify a crit chance of success or the extra damage.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. DFU Ver. Alpha 0.10.7

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Luck is another thing I don't think was implemented as intended, the description for it is very misleading as the only thing it modifies is hit chance and a small effect on climbing (Still a mystery what the thought process is on that, looking at the code it seemed to have a slight chance on your success chance when trying to climb).

I like you idea of a separate roll for a critical strike occurring and agree that a damage modifier is a more logical implementation of it.