I'm new to this forum but I'm a great fan of Daggerfall since long time, and recently discovered the wonderful Daggerfall Unity! I would like first of all to say a big thank you to all the people who worked on this project, you did an absolutely amazing job which brought new life to one of my favorite games of all times!
I have some ideas for potential mods for future deployments, that i would like to post here on the forum. Hope they could makes sense, and that someone would like to pick up some of them (unfortunately I'm not able to develop them by myself )
With this post I would like to suggest some enhancements to the Taverns and Inns, some of the locations which can offer a lot more of interesting opportunities in the game. Let me know what do you think!
I think I saw this as a minor quest added to the quest pack (which is great), but I think this should be a more likely/frequent activity you can find in a tavern. Clicking on a NPC could trigger randomly an invite to play one of these games, betting some amount of gold. Each game is basically a test of some attributes (difficulty can change randomly depending on the NPC):
- Dices (test Luck)
- Cards (test Luck and Intelligence)
- Chess (test Intelligence)
- Darts (test Agility)
- Drinking contest (test Endurance)
- Arm Wrestling (test Strenght)
Play a game makes the time advancing of 1 hour
Taverns could be also a place in which to gain some money by entertaining the patrons. I can imagine two ways so far:
- Barding: this would require a new character skill to be available (Barding) and requires a specific item in your inventory (eg. a lute or flute). Musical instruments should be added as available items (could be purchased in stores or found while looting). Cliking on the tavern keeper gives you the possibility to choose "Barding" from menu.
- Dancing: available only if a musician NPC is in the tavern. Clicking on them give you the possibility to chose between Talk and Dance. Would require a new character skill to be added (Dancing)
Barding and Dancing abilities determines the chance to get one of the following performance results:
- Outstanding: you receive good amount of gold (20-30 gold)+ free food and a free room for the night
- Very good: you receive a good amount of gold (10-20 gold)
- Mediocre: you receive a small amount of gold (1-10 gold)
- Poor: you receive nothing
- Annoying: you receive nothing, NPCs won't talk to you anymore until you leave the city, Innkeeper will refuse to sell you food and rent a room
I think that if windows can be adapted to reflect the outside weather and time that would create much more atmosphere!
Available only in certains inns, it will show all the job offers available in the city (same information you can get asking around to the NPCs, but here displayed all together in a convenient way)
This feature would slightly increase the cost of a room of some gold if you own an horse or a cart
Working at the inn:
You could ask the innkeeper to work for some hours as waiter. If he's available to hire you (to be determined randomly) time advances of 5/6 hours and you earn some money from this (also what about a random chances to get some tips basing on your Personality?)
Opening time and patrons:
Currently you will find inns always open and fully populated at any time of the day or night. To make it more realistic I would suggest that from 11PM to 2AM only the innkeeper is available and no other patron is around. from 2AM to 6AM the inn is closed.
More isolated inns:
I always found strange that inns found outside cities are actually surrounded by small villages which are in my opinion of no use. I think it would be more realistic if the outside inns could be surrounded by only one or two buildings, or be completely isolated
Have some quests which can be given exclusively by specific types of NPCs (Innkeeper, musicians, maids, prostitutes, jesters)
Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 271
- Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 am
Definitely some good suggestions here. One of the first things I would like to do is make the "quality" attribute of inns actually mean more than the difference between 1 and 2 gold per night of room rental. Now if this was to be expanded on with your other idea it could add quite a lot of variety to inns in general.