[Think Tank] What Sorts Of Things Can Help Keep Gold Valuable Throughout The Game?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ah_Ftagn

Re: [Think Tank] What Sorts Of Things Can Help Keep Gold Valuable Throughout The Game?

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

Easy, simple, fixes the problem of having lots of wealth in lots of places. reduces the rate at which bank fraud can get you rich. We still need a way to make bank fraud not cheating though, so I definitely vote for consequences in the form of bounty hunters (as per the post that started this long diversion about the mechanics of bank fraud in the game, how to balance it, and how to make players less likely to do it without removing the option entirely).

My initial post gives examples of possible modded-in solutions that could work at the other possible sources of inflation too... which is totally necessary. There are a lot of possible trouble spots that cause rapid gold accumulation in this game, so just fixing ONE of those issues isn't going to do much on its own. You need to work on all of them at once. If we could JUST find a way to remove level scaling from what stuff enemies wield, own, or drop (and treasure piles stuff) and make it all based on percentage chance and weighted tables we'd be able to fix that too... but if that isn't possible to mod in now, it's another feature that needs to be exposed to modders before the economy can be properly fixed.

Ralzar

Re: [Think Tank] What Sorts Of Things Can Help Keep Gold Valuable Throughout The Game?

Post by Ralzar »

Oh I agree. As a way to do that as a mod I'd probably trigger a chance of bounty hunters whenver you exit a building or dungeon. Imagine emerging from a dungeon with your loot and there's a group of legbreakers waiting for you , demanding your stuff as a downpayment on the loan :D

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 am Oh I agree. As a way to do that as a mod I'd probably trigger a chance of bounty hunters whenver you exit a building or dungeon. Imagine emerging from a dungeon with your loot and there's a group of legbreakers waiting for you , demanding your stuff as a downpayment on the loan :D
And that's something that I think would be "relatively" simple to implement, possibly with the quest system possibly. So I like that Idea obviously. I also like Ah_Ftagn's idea with the illegal items depending on regions, this was something that older version of EvE Online had, where you would be checked between gate jumps by the navy of whatever faction owned that part of space, and they had different laws on what items were illegal and what were not. Some had slaves being illegal, others had heavy laws against drugs, etc and you would get fined and (possibly) have those items confiscated if you hung around the gates too long.

But I can definitely see that making sense in any of the regions of Daggerfall. So i'm gonna add both those ideas to the list on the OP.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

A "Bankyhunter" mod is soemthing I can already envision how to scrounge together. Since it would, in itself, not need any manipulation of the actual banking system. It simply pulls the banking info for the character and applies odds of some random events based on loan amount, time, and where you are.
Pretty much the same as my hunting mod really.

Maybe I'll give it a shot after I feel finished with the lycanthropy mod I'm working on.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

A tax based on total player wealth, either simple or complex, is really just a stopgap, but it would lead to some interesting gameplay if you had tax evasion actually spawn bounty hunters too, at least. It's not like we have to worry about voice acting in Daggerfall, so I don't think it'd be as much an issue as in, say, Skyrim to add tax collectors that fit in perfectly with the other NPCs, hang out in capitols of provinces, and let you pay that province's taxes.

I suppose NOT being in a province, the taxes might come right out of the bank account for there on tax day.

This would make it MUCH harder to use higher level loot to destroy the economy, much the same way that a recent mod adding a gold cap to merchants might... though i admit, the gold gaps they set were unrealistically high, I would have preferred they range from 1k to 10k depending on the type of store.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ah_Ftagn wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 am This would make it MUCH harder to use higher level loot to destroy the economy, much the same way that a recent mod adding a gold cap to merchants might... though i admit, the gold gaps they set were unrealistically high, I would have preferred they range from 1k to 10k depending on the type of store.
In terms of the limited gold shop mod, I plan on working on/tweaking those values around. I just need to get a better idea of what works. I would also like to make a large determiner of the generated gold value of a shop to be based on the "type" of shop as well, not just the quality and the other factors already in place. Currently working on a magic regeneration mod, so i'll be working on the shops mod after I get that out to release at least.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Having to pay monthly guild dues to keep your membership would be interesting. It may make more sense if the player has to pay only if he hasn't done quests for a while. Afterall, being in a faction is a privilege and if the player doesn't help the guildmates, he'd have to pay up. The value would be calculated by rank, so that it's more expensive if you're higher ranked.

Cities surrounded by walls could charge some sort of tax to get inside. If you have a wagon or a horse, it'd be more expensive.

For ships, you could also get taxed when you dock somewhere. The value being different depending on the location type where you dock.

Bank loans should have a monthly interest. Encouraging the player to pay his debt as soon as possible.

On another note, loansharks could be available in Thieves Guild quarters. They loan you more gold than the banks, but charge a much higher interest rate and you have less time to pay up. Of course, they'd send some thugs to beat you up if you run away with the gold.

Random events in towns where citizens/children beg you for some gold. Certainly not the best way to keep gold valuable, but at least it's a way to spend it. :)

High-risk gambling in taverns.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Cliffworms wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:10 pm High-risk gambling in taverns.
BadLuckBurt actually mentioned this as an idea for a tavern "overhaul" I was thinking of eventually doing, basically just another thing to do in taverns to make them more interesting and feel alive. However, that can also be used to make gold more valuable or at least have more uses, such as high-roller gambling games, etc.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

The best way to approach an inflated economy in a game, IMO, is from both angles.

Make it harder to GET gold, then make it so that the player has to spend more of it.

So far, I'm liking the discussion I'm seeing here. Plenty of both angles, plus the inclusion of risk in place of cost. Props to you all for the ideas, I've yet to see one I don't think would work out at least somewhat well.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ah_Ftagn wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:38 am Make it harder to GET gold, then make it so that the player has to spend more of it.
A cuple of mods that help quite a bit with that:

"Roleplay&Realism": Makes you start getting speed and fatigue debuff if carrying close to encumbrance limit.
"Roleplay&Realism: Items": Makes most dropped loot damaged to a random degree. It also changes the sell function so the sell price is affected by the condition of the item. Also changes loot drops to generally have less stuff.
"Physical Combat": Makes armor and weapons degrade much faster, making you have to spend much more on repair. Also makes found items less useful, since they're to some degree already damaged.
"Realistic Wagon": Makes you have to actually drive the wagon to get it anywhere. Meaning that if you want to gather all the loot and drive it to town, you have to physically drive it.

Now, mix Tedious Travel into this and you have quite a few problems to overcome to start getting all this loot back to sell. And the sell price for it will be lower than before.
On my newest playthrougs with all these mods, I found I had to take out bank loans just to buy a horse or upgrade my armor.