Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
dani26795

Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Post by dani26795 »

Seeing as this project is closing in to 1.0 version, I decided to come back to check it out after a year and a half. I have seen plenty of cool new mods and spending my time tweaking their settings to my liking.

While I started playing again, I realized it would be cool to have the option to hide every location you never stepped foot in or were never mentioned in a conversation or letter, with maybe the exception of Cities (Towns, Villages and Inns not part of this exception). Who knows, it could give some extra notch to Ironman-like runs, and asking NPCs for directions would have a bigger weight than it currently does.

I imagine it would be simple enough to make this work, as most dungeon locations already work like that by default. Let me know what you think.

Jay_H

Re: Option to hide all locations unknown to a stranger

Post by Jay_H »

We were talking about some ideas for this, like the ability to find/buy a "regional map" that shows all locations within X pixels of your own. Thus, exploring the world would be a gradual process.

No one's put any work into it, but I figured I'd add that idea ;)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I love this idea too. I believe this would require a decent amount of work. You would have to rebuild the travel map gui object and events so it dynamically reveals or hides location pixels based on player distance. Easiest would be to use the exterior daggerfalllocation object for every map pixel location, grabs its position and convert it to proper vector3 values for the point origin system, then do the same for the player position, and then run the check for all the locations on the map, and then hide all of them except the ones within within a smaller radius than the check value.

All the things are in place to do it I believe, but the heavy lifting needs to be done.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

This is similar to an idea I thought of a while ago, but never tried to implement it. I'll take a look into it.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

I got this working to an extent, this is what the map looks like when exiting Privateer's Hold (I've restricted the map locations to Cities or discovered locations):
Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_51_01 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_51_01 PM.png (856.58 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

And here it is after reaching Gothway Garden and accepting a couple of quests:

Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_54_13 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_54_13 PM.png (865.03 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

dani26795

Post by dani26795 »

Spoiler!
Macadaynu wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 pm I got this working to an extent, this is what the map looks like when exiting Privateer's Hold (I've restricted the map locations to Cities or discovered locations):

Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_51_01 PM.png

And here it is after reaching Gothway Garden and accepting a couple of quests:

Daggerfall Unity 24-Sep-21 11_54_13 PM.png
Nice, that's exactly what I had in mind when I posted this idea.

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

Now I just need to figure out a way to ensure quest locations that appear in text that you read, then show up on the map. eg. Brisienna's letter

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Macadaynu wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 pm Now I just need to figure out a way to ensure quest locations that appear in text that you read, then show up on the map. eg. Brisienna's letter
Would your mod be compatible to Basic Roads and Travel Options?

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

I have a question on this: assuming I understood the idea correctly, don't you see the risk that with this mod it will become extremely difficult to leave Daggerfall region?

Let's suppose a player came out from Privateer's Hold and wants to leave for Totambu. He cannot use fast travel because there are not cities on the map to click. similarly he cannot use Tedious Travel. So the only option would be to literally walk step by step across the whole world!

My two cents suggestion for this mod would be to leave at least the capitals of each region available by default on the map, just to make sure this mod can be enoyable everywhere.

Hope this makes sense!

Macadaynu

Post by Macadaynu »

andromacus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:19 am I have a question on this: assuming I understood the idea correctly, don't you see the risk that with this mod it will become extremely difficult to leave Daggerfall region?

Let's suppose a player came out from Privateer's Hold and wants to leave for Totambu. He cannot use fast travel because there are not cities on the map to click. similarly he cannot use Tedious Travel. So the only option would be to literally walk step by step across the whole world!

My two cents suggestion for this mod would be to leave at least the capitals of each region available by default on the map, just to make sure this mod can be enoyable everywhere.

Hope this makes sense!
As you can see from the screenshot the cities are left in place, this is the same for each region, so you can just go to whatever region and fast travel / use Tedious Travel(Travel Options) to travel to whichever city you like.

Also if you are restricting yourself to only using fast travel via ship (between ports), this also works as every capital city has a port by default