Thoughts on Melee Combat

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
l3lessed

Re: Thoughts on Melee Combat

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the recommendation.

I plan on updating my combat mod in the next week or two. Also, what mods is it still not compatible with? I could swear the last version I released had built in patches for both the popular armor overhaul mod and dream texture packs.

Let me know what other mods are breaking ambidexterity mod, so I can fix it in the next update.

Let me go over the issues already addressed in my ambidexterity module and other mods you mention though.
  • fists are as fast as claymore (or a dagger for that matter): This can be easily changed using the ambidexterity modules built in weapon config text file that allows you to modify weapon attack speaks dynamically.
  • swing types don't matter either, a blunted staff does more damage than a dagger thrust: Agreed some form of this needs put in. Attack choices should matter for weapon type. I'll move this in as an option at some point. One side note though, you can enable physical weapons to get actual swing arcs that react to the physical world, which makes the individual swings a little more important; It isn't really affective using side or overhead swings when cramped in a tiny dungeon closet or hallway unless you position yourself correctly because you will hit the walls or roofs with your massive weapon. Again, if you combine this with customizing weapon ranges in my mods weapon config text file, what weapons you use and attacks depending on the environment and combat situation your in becomes far more important.
  • damage is wildly out of balance: again can be remedied using the weapon config text file to setup custom weapon damages.
  • the actual weapons themselves are overall little more than paper doll candy: Again, this can be dealt with by customizing the weapon config text file. You can give each weapon type a unique range, damage, attack speed, unsheathed movement speed, and attack movement speed, so each weapon can have a very unique feel to how it affects you and combat.
  • armor doesn't make a difference for stealth, and does not actually reduce damage, but only improves your ability to avoid damage, again making the dodge skill useless: There is the armor overhaul mod to fix the armor not absorbing damage. The stealth issue may be addressed in another mod, but if it isn't this can be fixed for sure at some point.
  • The materials system needs some more passes and mods for it, but the armor overhaul mod does influence the material system to make it matter more than it does in vanilla.
  • no options for chain armor and leather armor in a heavily combat based and armor biased game. you cannot function without armor, and so everyone basically goes and makes thieves that can wear plate: The roleplay/realism mod adds chain and leather as armor types. Ambidexterity module should be fully compatible with Roleplay and Realism, including its added weapons. If you want to customize its added weapons, just add their unique WeaponID # to the weapon config text file, and then setup the differing property values to what you want. If you don't do this, it;s weapons will default to vanilla weapon values.
On top of this, Ambidexterity mod adds in a full parry system, including enemies being able to parry your if they attack within your hit frame, which adds a whole another dynamic to combat not in vanilla in anyway. Also, you get a full shield system, with dynamic blocking and differing styles of blocking based on shield types, and the ability to choose which blocking styles you want. Another combat mechanics completely missing from vanilla that makes combat far more dynamic and less of a D&D roll check, chance game.

As you pointed out, most these things are dealt with in some form in mods out already. If there are compatibility issues causing you to not be able to use the mods together you want to build an experience closer to what you're wanting, please let us mod authors know. I want my ambidexterity module to be plug and play with as many of the main combat mods as possible. Not trying to discount your good feedback; I want to ensure new forum users know how to begin addressing these very things you bring up, until we get more complete systems and mods for combat.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

daggerdude

Re: Thoughts on Melee Combat

Post by daggerdude »

Well i did just get back into your mod and actually i think most of my issues have been solved so far between roleplay and realism and the physical combat and armor mod, upon further review. And i was playing with the speed and lengths and it does make daggerfall quite a bit more bearable in 2021.
on damage types, i was referring to cut vs pierce vs blunt, and how a blunt staff does the same damage as a dagger thrust... idk how, but it would be nice if the type of attack actually has different effects or is more efficient in a certain scenario.