Controls - enhancements/bugs

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
mikeprichard

Controls - enhancements/bugs

Post by mikeprichard »

A few quality-of-life/possible bugfix requests for base DFU re: the control screen/scheme:

1) The "Notebook" option should be removed from the Controls screen, as it was never implemented in either vanilla Daggerfall or DFU.

2) The following key bindings should always function as "toggles" (i.e. the same key should both open and close the window, in addition to ESC closing the window), including if the key bindings are changed to non-default keys: Character Sheet, Inventory, Rest, Transport, Logbook, Automap, Travel Map.

3) This may be a bug (Live Build 111/May 12, Win 64-bit), but in my limited testing, it seems edited key bindings revert to default bindings randomly, both after game save/load and within a single game save. I noticed this with the Cast Spell key (reverting from my selected "G" binding to "Backspace"), the Automap key (reverting from my selected "X" binding to "M"), the Inventory key (reverting from my selected "V" binding to "F6"), etc. Edited control key bindings should always consistently persist both within and across saves.

I hope this was the right place to post about these issues - thanks!
Last edited by mikeprichard on Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: [CONTROLS] Control enhancements/bugs

Post by Interkarma »

#3 would definitely be a bug. I'm not aware of any problems persisting keybinds at this time, will take a look when I can.

Keybinds aren't in your save games, btw. Saving/loading should have no effect on them. They're stored as a global keybinds.txt file in persistent data path (same place as settings.ini). The folder is shown on the startup UI at bottom of the screen.

If you've been playing DFU across many builds, it might be worth deleting your keybinds.txt file. Next time you open the game, it will create a fresh keybinds.txt file with all defaults and from there you can set your custom binding again through UI.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the quick reply! This is the first time I've tried a build in many months after having fully deleted my old install, so it wasn't an issue with the keybinds.txt file. And I know you're busy now with effects, but it would be great to see the other two suggestions in at some point - especially the toggle functionality would be a big deal.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yup, agreed 100 with the toggle function.

I also noticed when loitering, that in my case, only the input from numpad is working. That whole thing with having to manually write a number is a bit strange... maybe if we could click on some arrow and add or deduct a number of hours like we do with a skills etc... just a idea :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Also, I did a little more testing after my original post, and there's definitely some bugginess going on with the keybinds.txt file (at least on Win 7 64-bit). It seems to have a mind of its own, and overrides/duplicates certain keybinds with the original unwanted default values if you try to change them from the defaults through the controls window (or even manually through the .txt file). At least, that's my extremely technical analysis.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you can Mike, please attach a copy of your current keybinds.txt file at this time. Cheers!

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Well, I completely uninstalled Daggerfall and DFU (waiting for future builds to get into DFU more seriously) after a couple days, but I'm sure I can reproduce the issue - I'll reinstall everything and attach the file in a bit. Thanks for your attention to this.

EDIT: The forum won't let me attach the actual files (the file extensions aren't allowed, even when I edit/remove the extensions), so I had to copy the contents of the files instead. You'll find below first the contents of the initial keybinds.txt file on first starting DFU before entering the Controls menu for the first time, then the contents of the file after changing some default values, mostly in the bottom half of the Controls menu. You'll see that as of the second file, several entries I'd changed in the Controls menu (Status, Character Sheet, Inventory, LogBook, CastSpell, etc.) are now duplicated into two different rows within the .txt file - one showing the previous default keybind, the other my new selected keybind. I'm not sure whether this is related to my issues, but after some time playing, several of these keybinds end up reverting to the unwanted default values in the Controls menu and in game. It seems fairly random as to when this happens and which keybinds it affects - for example, in my previous installation/testing a few days ago, I remember the automap binding being an issue as well, but so far this time around that binding hasn't caused any issues. Still, hopefully this is enough for you to track down the problems.
Spoiler!
{
"actionKeyBinds": {
"Escape": "Escape",
"BackQuote": "ToggleConsole",
"W": "MoveForwards",
"S": "MoveBackwards",
"A": "MoveLeft",
"D": "MoveRight",
"LeftArrow": "TurnLeft",
"RightArrow": "TurnRight",
"PageUp": "FloatUp",
"PageDown": "FloatDown",
"Space": "Jump",
"C": "Crouch",
"LeftControl": "Slide",
"LeftShift": "Run",
"R": "Rest",
"T": "Transport",
"F1": "StealMode",
"F2": "GrabMode",
"F3": "InfoMode",
"F4": "TalkMode",
"Backspace": "CastSpell",
"Q": "RecastSpell",
"E": "AbortSpell",
"U": "UseMagicItem",
"Z": "ReadyWeapon",
"Mouse1": "SwingWeapon",
"H": "SwitchHand",
"I": "Status",
"F5": "CharacterSheet",
"F6": "Inventory",
"Mouse0": "ActivateCenterObject",
"Return": "ActivateCursor",
"Insert": "LookUp",
"Delete": "LookDown",
"Home": "CenterView",
"LeftAlt": "Sneak",
"L": "LogBook",
"N": "NoteBook",
"M": "AutoMap",
"V": "TravelMap",
"F9": "QuickSave",
"F12": "QuickLoad"
},
"$version": "v1"
}

{
"actionKeyBinds": {
"Escape": "Escape",
"BackQuote": "ToggleConsole",
"W": "MoveForwards",
"S": "MoveBackwards",
"A": "MoveLeft",
"D": "MoveRight",
"LeftArrow": "TurnLeft",
"RightArrow": "TurnRight",
"PageUp": "FloatUp",
"PageDown": "FloatDown",
"Space": "Jump",
"C": "CharacterSheet",
"LeftControl": "Crouch",
"LeftShift": "Run",
"R": "Rest",
"T": "Transport",
"F1": "StealMode",
"F2": "GrabMode",
"F3": "InfoMode",
"F4": "TalkMode",
"Backspace": "CastSpell",
"Q": "LogBook",
"E": "RecastSpell",
"U": "UseMagicItem",
"Z": "TravelMap",
"Mouse1": "SwingWeapon",
"H": "SwitchHand",
"I": "Status",
"F6": "Inventory",
"Mouse0": "ActivateCenterObject",
"Return": "ActivateCursor",
"Insert": "LookUp",
"Delete": "LookDown",
"Home": "CenterView",
"LeftAlt": "Sneak",
"L": "LogBook",
"N": "AbortSpell",
"M": "UseMagicItem",
"V": "Inventory",
"F9": "QuickSave",
"F12": "QuickLoad",
"RightControl": "Slide",
"G": "CastSpell",
"F": "ReadyWeapon",
"B": "Status",
"Comma": "NoteBook",
"X": "AutoMap"
},
"$version": "v1"
}
Last edited by mikeprichard on Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

When you say you completely uninstalled, do you also mean that you deleted the the persistent data path with all your save games (i.e. "AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop")?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

And yes, I deleted everything - all of the main game files as well as all of the appdata files in the path you noted. I've now edited my post above with the info.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mike wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 am You'll see that as of the second file, several entries I'd changed in the Controls menu (Status, Character Sheet, Inventory, LogBook, CastSpell, etc.) are now duplicated into two different rows within the .txt file - one showing the previous default keybind, the other my new selected keybind.
You can attach images and .zip files, but the above is fine. :)

Part of the input manager back-end design is to support binding multiple keys to an action. For example, the below is intended to be valid.

Code: Select all

"C": "CharacterSheet",
It just means the "CharacterSheet" action is bound to two different keys. What matters is that each key is unique. When I load up the game with your keybinds, I can use both keys C and F5 to open the character sheet UI.

From your reports, I think this where things are going wrong. The UI itself is getting confused over which key should be the primary, and possibly overwriting your selection later. I might just remove multibind support from the back-end, as Daggerfall's UI isn't really designed to support this properly anyway.

My initial spec was for a custom UI binding interface to replace the classic one (as I did for save UI) with full multibind support, but a contributor added the classic interface before I could implement my own, and I've just run with it as it generally works quite well. Just a few tweaks here and there needed.

Thanks for the report. :)