UI/controls - enhancements

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
mikeprichard

Re: UI/controls - enhancements

Post by mikeprichard »

HUD enhancements
3) Display number of arrows remaining if bow equipped*

Hazelnut, thanks for adding this in the latest builds! Now I just need someone to add all the other things here, and I'll be good. :D Seriously, cheers.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Is the arrow counter only shown if a bow is equipped?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, it appears when bow is both equipped and "readied" for firing. If you put away the bow then the arrow counter will disappear again.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Perfect :)

MoloMowChow

Post by MoloMowChow »

I think that being able to at least see the enemy's Health Bar like in later Elder Scroll games, will help newer players figure out more quickly what does and does not work. Like figuring out they need higher grade weapon material to hurt certain creatures, or figure out when their spells are actually hitting.

I personally would like to see enemy health bar to know when Continuous Damage spells are in effect.

I don't think seeing their magicka or fatigue bar is necessary though (unless maybe, a custom spell effect allows you to).

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

mikeprichard wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 am Character sheet UI enhancements
2) Add tooltip info displaying leveling progress in each skill
3) Add tooltip info displaying total skill increases remaining until next level-up
Thinking about the above two requests from the first post here in light of other recent forum discussions (https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1604), it seems even within the constraints of the existing UI graphic templates, as pointed out by BansheeXYZ, it would be possible to add the functionality of clicking on the "LEVEL" field in the character sheet producing a pop-up displaying your current level progress (e.g. "Current progress to next level: 10/15 required skill increases"). Similarly (although this one might need to be a toggled option in DFU settings for purists), the existing vanilla pop-ups for the various skill categories in the character sheet could be edited to e.g. display a skill in red when it's ready to level upon next rest, and/or display the progress within that skill as a decimal value such as "57.50%" if the skill is halfway to 58% (credit again to BansheeXYZ for the decimal idea).
mikeprichard wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 am Character creation/leveling UI enhancements
2) OPTIONAL SETTING: Force maximum attribute/health bonus points at level-up
This one "should be easy" (famous last words), assuming anyone knows where in the game data these values can be edited, because it wouldn't affect any UI elements - it would instead be a difficulty setting in DFU options. This is a very common difficulty setting in e.g. the Infinity Engine games, which have similar randomized level-up stat increase mechanics.
mikeprichard wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 am Controls enhancements
1) OPTIONAL SETTING: Run and Sneak operate as always on/always off toggles
Another common control scheme in more modern games, and another request that wouldn't require any UI editing.

Anyone able and willing to take these on at some point? Cheers!

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

regional reputation indicator
I really, really want this feature! To have by pressing "I" not only "you in eyes of law", but also what different kind of people in region think about my character
And as opotional maybe casual thing, but icon show that you hidden or somebody see you

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hmm... Maybe for a mod, but maybe the more you talk to NPCs, the more you know about your standing with various factions? Although this could reveal NPCs factions, and since some of them are hidden...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Zadroter

Post by Zadroter »

Not factions, just general pesants and nobles at least and as opptional. I get bug that all pesants hate me and I even can't check my reputation lol
Also cheats to change your reputation would be neat too

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Controls enhancements
1) OPTIONAL SETTING: Interaction Modes replaced with left-click (talk/use/open/loot), right-click (info), sneak (lockpick/pickpocket)

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the UI/control aspect most likely to confuse and annoy new Daggerfall players is the dated and cumbersome "Interaction Mode" scheme. Instead, post-1.0, I'd love to see an "Interaction Mode Alternative" setting in DFU Interface options that (when no weapon is drawn):

a) simulates the classic "Talk/Grab" modes with a simple left click on the target object (talk to an NPC, use a lever, open an unlocked door, loot a treasure pile, etc.),
b) simulates the classic "Info" mode with a simple right click on the target object (display a shop's name and opening times, display an NPC's name or an enemy's type, display whether a door is locked, etc.), and
c) simulates the classic "Steal" mode only when the player is in "Sneak" status (as I've also suggested in this topic, the Sneak control should optionally be made a toggle in line with more recent games).

This may be a big job, but if it's ever implemented, as with "click to attack", I'd never play DFU with this setting off again. :)