Enemy Factions Target Player

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Kamer

Enemy Factions Target Player

Post by Kamer »

Pretty simple. Rival factions have a chance of attacking players. I'd be for something like this either on a quest or at all times within a faction. Would make factions feel more alive. Also same thing would apply if you had a bad reputation at a location.

Jay_H

Re: Enemy Factions Target Player

Post by Jay_H »

This would be relatively simple as a recurring script. See these elements put together as a quest:

Quest duration: 30 days
Quest action: If Dark Brotherhood reputation <0, send two assassins every 3000 minutes with 30% success rate
Quest action: If Thieves Guild reputation <0, send two burglars every 4000 minutes with 20% success rate
Quest action: If Necromancer reputation <0, send one lich every 2000 minutes with 10% success rate
And so on
Quest action: start same quest every 30 days.

It's beyond my scripting knowledge how to do it, but I believe the main quest provides everything necessary for it.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Anywhere I could learn to write scripts for Daggerfall unity?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'd just run 'em as a quest, to be honest. A lot of DF's brilliance can happen through quests. Give me a couple of days and I should have something, if not at least a barebones outline of it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Here's what I've made.

Code: Select all

Quest: TEST
-- Message panels
QRC:

QuestorOffer:  [1000]

RefuseQuest:  [1001]
<ce>           

AcceptQuest:  [1002]
<ce>           

QuestFail:  [1003]
<ce>                     

QuestComplete:  [1004]
<ce>                     

Sending foes

QBN:

Foe _assassin_ is Assassin
Foe _nightblade_ is Nightblade

Person _db_ faction The_Dark_Brotherhood
Person _tg_ faction The_Thieves_Guild

Clock _change_ 00:01
Clock _change2_ 00:02
Clock _time_ 00:03

--	Quest start-up:
	say 1011
                start timer _time_
                start timer _change_
                start timer _change2_
	repute with _db_ exceeds 0 do _dbsafe_
	repute with _tg_ exceeds 0 do _tgsafe_

variable _tgsafe_
variable _dbsafe_

_change_ task:
                change repute with _db_ by -99
                change repute with _tg_ by -99

_change2_ task:
                change repute with _db_ by +99
                change repute with _tg_ by +99

_dbsend_ task:
	when not _dbsafe_
	create foe _assassin_ every 1 minutes 100 times with 100% success

_tgsend_ task:
	when not _tgsafe_
	create foe _nightblade_ every 1 minutes 100 times with 100% success

_time_ task:
	end quest
Here's the gist of it: this quest, which can run silently in the background, can send enemies at you based on your reputation level with two factions. So long as your reputation with them is 0 or higher, no enemies should be sent. If you dip below 0, then they'll start appearing. After 1 minute your reputation drops by 99, and after another it rises by 99.

It appears the reputation register doesn't happen in real time (don't know why, since some test runs with this quest made that happen and some didnt). So you can have this quest recur every 15 days or so, starting another copy of itself and ending immediately after.

By sending enemies on a basis of, say, every 620 minutes with 8% chance, you'll make them appear sparsely to attack the player.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Could you say something within the quest-lines that say a line of dialogue ONLY when a assassin spawns?

"The Dark Brotherhood sends their regards!"

Something that lets the player know it's not just a broken spawn. I'm not well versed in quests so I can't think of a line that can let the game know (If enemy spawn, say message 1000) or whatever.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

If so, it'll appear on the first instance only. Repeating the same message wouldn't be possible each time. An in-game way of accomplishing this might be sending a letter:

Player Name

Watch your back. You've stepped on too many toes. The Brotherhood is coming.

Otherwise you could set a message to display when you injure and/or kill one of the sent enemies, but that'll only occur the first time.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Actually that's a lot better. A one time message. If it can't be repeated perhaps its good to be a journal entry.

Example like:
"I've been attacked by The Dark Brotherhood. Looks like I've made
members of the underworld upset. I should watch my back for future attempts at my life.
Should I try and make amends with them?"

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Since the quest is going to have to repeat itself to take effect (as far as I can tell, for now), another option is to put a letter into the enemy's pack.

Rodyrick Kingham,

You're looking for a Dark Elf named Helon Elensefar somewhere in Wrothgarian Mountains. Show the fool what it means to mess with the Dark Brotherhood.

Then it wouldn't be so immersion-breaking for that letter to reappear on a corpse every 30 or however many days it would take. It would sort of be like a subtle reminder that things are bad.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

That sounds good. Once we get a basic function for faction down then we can spread it to the rest of the remaining factions. A negative reputation with a certain place like Daggerfall would have bounty hunters sent after you. Maybe even have all of them stacked so you can have real odds coming at you if you have a really bad reputation is every location in Tamriel lol