Conjuration/Necromancy

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
FilthyCasual523

Re: Conjuration/Necromancy

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

I want to voice my support for this idea again. I'd love to do a necromancy playthrough and join the Cult of Worms. I was wondering how possible it'd be to base the DFU version of necromancy off of the more ritualistic process described in the Corpse Preparation books.

Additionally, I think it'd be awesome to allow female characters to join witch covens.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

FilthyCasual523 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm Additionally, I think it'd be awesome to allow female characters to join witch covens.
+1.

Excellent idea.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

King of Worms approved :twisted:

Nilkar Drelayne

Post by Nilkar Drelayne »

Also want to voice my support. Really wish someone could come around and code this in but also making new skills is hard I'd imagine... Here's hoping this topic can be acted upon!

Baler

Post by Baler »

great, necro. heh

I want a diablo 2 skeleton army.

Guy_Duderson

Post by Guy_Duderson »

No idea if adding a new skill to the game with a mod is possible at this point, but it always feels weird that conjuration isn't a skill here. I'd absolutely love it if that was implemented here with a mod some day. Even if it's not possible right now, hopefully it at least becomes possible eventually.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Guy_Duderson wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 am No idea if adding a new skill to the game with a mod is possible at this point, but it always feels weird that conjuration isn't a skill here. I'd absolutely love it if that was implemented here with a mod some day. Even if it's not possible right now, hopefully it at least becomes possible eventually.
At this point it would be very hard. Best I can think of is re-purposing an existing skill (like merging two language skills into one and then using the other as conjuration). Anyway, it will take a lot of effort, if it is ever done. I'd like to see it happen, too, but so far would not commit to doing it.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

You know, if Create Item is linked to Mysticism, while its closest analogue in future games is part of Conjuration, I'd say that Conjuration is part of Mysticism during the events of TES2: Daggerfall (Lore wise, I think the designations are actually arbitrary categories used to better understand magic anyway, something that Skyrim's lore supports by the fact the mages guild post-oblivion actually abolished the entire mysticism school and integrated its elements into the other five schools!)

This means you don't even need to add a new school.

Just have a "Conjure Item" effect that summons and equips more potent, but also temporary items of a specific type set during spellmaking, a "Conjure Creature" effect that does the same thing with creature types, matching levels to the player character and going up a list of enemy types, and an "Imbue Unlife" spell that lets you turn a corpse into an appropriate level undead.

The conjured item vanishes at the end of the spell, the conjured creatures vanish if killed or the spell ends, the conjured undead "die" if their hit points become zero, and will trigger a mysticism check at the end of the duration (Success=undead becomes just dead, failure=undead remains, but it becomes hostile to both you and any other non-undead creatures in the dungeon)

All of these could be Mysticism spells without screwing the lore up as of TES2 in the timeline.

Guy_Duderson

Post by Guy_Duderson »

Ah_Ftagn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 am something that Skyrim's lore supports by the fact the mages guild post-oblivion actually abolished the entire mysticism school and integrated its elements into the other five schools!)
Huh, it feels weird being reminded of that. I'd actually played a lot of Skyrim, but forgotten they somehow didn't have mysticism there. it can seriously be surprisingly easy to forget what specific games in the series don't have that you'd otherwise think they would have.

Ah_Ftagn

Post by Ah_Ftagn »

Yeah, a lot of that is supported by the fact the same effects have a good argument to appear in multiple schools. Thaumaturgy could be merged wholesale with mysticism, parts of both with restoration, alteration, or conjuration, the argument for destruction to be merged with conjuration ("you're conjuring flame/frost/shock/etc") and mysticism (you're unweaving a thing) exists.

This is kinda a thing with every school of magic, which is probably why the "The schools are a method of understanding the mystical" idea exists as a thing in the setting. Not to mention that if you count ESO, that game's events happen before the formalization of schools of magic, AND has effects that are both unique and seemingly separate from them. IE stuff that would normally defy categorization under the schools of magic.