Lockpicking overhaul

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
princessbinas

Re: Lockpicking overhaul

Post by princessbinas »

Ommamar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:05 pm
princessbinas wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:44 pm
Ommamar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 pm I think a lock picking system would work, just set it to a Boolean flag to check if you have a lock pick in inventory you can attempt to pick a lock. This combined with a break system based on how skilled you are at lock picking would be a good way to go. I would also like to see practice chests that are locked located in thieves guild as lock picking is one of the hardest skills to raise particularly if you try to raise it by use and not training.

I would also like to see both the open and lock spells be adjusted. It doesn't really make sense that you cast the spell on your self, not the locked door. Then the chance is only that you will buff yourself to try to open the door which you can still fail at if the lock is to high of a level for you.

Bash is nice as the last resort or if you are playing a build that has nothing to do with thieving, but it is what you end up doing 95% of the time.
I like this idea, especially with the open spell being turned into a fortify lockpicking spell. However, that would sort of break the Mage's Guild quests that require you to have the open spell to open a magically locked chest/trunk that a client needs help with opening.
Hmm not really as you have to use the bought spell to complete it as the custom spells won't work unlike the ID item quest. Basically a do you have it or not check to complete it so I don't really see any changes effecting that particular quest.
By "break," I mean in the sense of a narrative kind of break (continuity error) rather than a full blow glitch. However, one solution I do see is if we could have magically locked chests spawning naturally in dungeons, etc. (with loot that is based on strength of the magical lock) and the open spell be repurposed for that and there be a lockpicking fortification spell be used for opening doors like how it has been suggested in this thread so far.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Trying to get this discussion back in the runnning. Right now we don't have the ability to add new items as such, so lock picks are out. What if you we given semi-unlimited tries to pick a lock, there was a skill check made based on how tough the lock is, failure sends out an alarm that would attract monsters in dungeons an count as crime to guards in town, along with a second skill check on failure where a repeat failure breaks the lock (as per normal)? That's doable, right?

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I think getting 2 shots to unlock an external lock (and the second attempt calling the guards) in towns would be sufficient, but say like 5 tries in dungeons.