My UI up-scaling project.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Narf the Mouse

Re: My UI up-scaling project.

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I like this, and want to see more of it. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Sun's Dawn

Post by Sun's Dawn »

I think the map both can be seen as a game mechanic that is not an actual item in the game, or as an actual item that the character carries. For the former a realistic style like yours Arl would be the best, for the latter a more hand drawn style. The map in your post Biboran is slightly overdone I think and I would prefer a hand drawn style similar to this:
Spoiler!

Arl

Post by Arl »

I think I better start releasing something, otherwise this thing is going to get stuck again. If I share it while I'm working on it maybe it will get me motivated enough to not let it sink in my priorities.

Here it is:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uhacu3b3 ... _HD_UI.rar

The zip contains two folders that need to be palced here: Your daggerfal unity folder/DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures

This is what you would find in this release, but somethings are not working and I guess only TheLacus can fix them:

-Main menu.
-Character generation (with some issues with scaling here and there, you'll notice)
-Talk Window (doesn't work in game).
-World Map (doesn't work in game)
-Local Map (doesn't work in game)
-Option panel (control config doesn't scale right).
-Health, Mana and Stamina bars.
-Compass.
-Tavel panel.
-Rest panel.
-Log dialog.
-Book panel.
-Character Info.

I have other things already finished, but some of them are not implemented in DFU yet (such as spell related panels) and I better wait for this batch to work properly first and then I'll add more things (that probably would add more issues to attend).

Also, is it possible to move this thread to Creator's Corner? I think is more apropiate for this topic to exist there, since there's now official content here.

That's it, let me know whatever feedback you feel like giving.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

looks great! will take a look on necessary changes for automap and talkwindow backgrounds. Maybe it can be done with low effort. Otherwise TheLacus is the right man, yes ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Image Image Image Image ImageImage
My exit prompt is the only problem you didn't mention :)

The first screen looks a bit bright to me.

The golden letters on the character info sheet look a little undefined. The shadow's making them look blurry.

But with all said, this is a permanent add to my game.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this is more involved than I thought first, but I am on a good way. Talk Window is about 80% working already

edit:
ok have it working (pull request issued)
portrait and navigation replacement will likely not work for the moment (at least this is untested).
see it here:

next I will take a look is the automap (will take some time as well).

btw, good work on the textures - they match perfectly pixel-wise ;)

Arl

Post by Arl »

-Jay_H:

Yes, I forgot about it. It's a problem with scaling apparently, that's why I only added one tile of the parchment, to test it. Having all of them replaced would have block the entire screen, because is a pop up message.

I'm addressing the other issue with the info character, feel free to tell me all criticism you may have, I would be improving the project as I go based on the feedback.

-Nystul:

Great! Thanks for addressing this, I'm happy to see it in the game at least (the talk screen is one of the first ones I did long ago). I see that I forgot about the scroll arrows, I will add them in the second release, if they don't work for now is fine, I just want them to be present.

I won't be doing portraits, that's something beyond my scope (and also beyond my capabilities I guess).
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Great work Arl :)
Note there are two files with the world map, MAP100I0.IMG and TMAP00I0.IMG.

About the scaling issue, this happens because image resolution is used to define the rect on screen, so different resolutions have different results. I fixed some of them as i met this issue but maybe is better to use a more systematic approach since almost all Ui images are affected.

An idea can be to replace all texture2d in affected components with a light version of ImageData which contains texture2d as well as width and height as read from original asset. The alternative is to just hardcode all correct values.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

interior and exterior automap texture replacements will work in next version as well (background is a bit dark for exterior automap imho):

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

TheLacus wrote:Great work Arl :)
About the scaling issue, this happens because image resolution is used to define the rect on screen, so different resolutions have different results. I fixed some of them as i met this issue but maybe is better to use a more systematic approach since almost all Ui images are affected.

An idea can be to replace all texture2d in affected components with a light version of ImageData which contains texture2d as well as width and height as read from original asset. The alternative is to just hardcode all correct values.
What worked for me (talkwindow and automap) was to compute everything (rects, buttons, layout in general) in a virtual 320x200 resolution and just use textures as BackgroundTexture for panels and buttons ;)

Easy, straightforward and even allows a mix of replaced and non-replaced textures like currently in talkwindow (nav buttons vs background) or automap (2d grid button vs 3d grid button)

@arl: btw, image TOWN00I0.IMG is also used in exterior automap view

once my open pull request is merged you will be able to test it out or clone my talkwindow git branch (from https://github.com/Nystul-the-Magician/ ... -unity.git)