Windows/64 #50 (#127) Winter Crickets

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
VMblast

Windows/64 #50 (#127) Winter Crickets

Post by VMblast »

This is a minor bug and dont know if this was feature in the original. There are sounds of crickets in the winter time. As we all know, crickets are distinct for the late spring/summer time (the period of time we subconsciously associate it with).

As well birds chirping in winter time. Well ok there are some non migrating birds active in winter time (sparrows, crows, magpies ect.), but still this is just a minor note. ;)

Interkarma

Re: Windows/64 #50 (#127) Winter Crickets

Post by Interkarma »

I think DF plays crickets sounds at night in all times of year, but I've honestly not tested this. Will look into this later. :)

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Just tested and can confirm that original Daggerfall plays crickets and bird noises in winter, so this would be more like an enhancement over the original game than a bug fix.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ok, thanks guys. That was just a minor note of mine. ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for testing! Perhaps this could be wrapped up in a mod of some kind. There's already a mod to stop cricket sounds, which just replaces it with a silent noise. A more involved mod could add different ambient sounds at different times of years (e.g. wolf howls and frosty wind in winter).

I'll move this to mods general as this behaviour is matched to classic rather than a bug. :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Ok thanks. Yeah that would be nice touch -depending on season, ambient sounds changes. For example, in winter months more realistic sound should be wind howling, or huge mass of snow falls from the trees, or in the midst of the winter -a cracking sound of wood cracking under the sever cold.

PS -on that note it would be nice touch to add subtle breath vapor in cold weather. :P

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The sounds of trees cracking in cold and snow falling from branches seems kind of magical to me. I've never really considered all the different sounds snow can make. I live in the tropics and snow is basically pixie dust to me. The closest we get is occasional huge hail smashing our roof tiles. :lol:

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Speaking of sounds, I don't know if it's implemented, but the sound of bowing wood while on the boat would be atmospheric. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Someone needs to make an "enhanced atmosphere" mod with these ideas. Would only require a little programming to play sounds and any visual effects in the right context.