New advantages/disadvantages discussion

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Narf the Mouse

New advantages/disadvantages discussion

Post by Narf the Mouse »

In honour of the upcoming optional climbing system, my next character will use no magic, and having climbing, jumping, running, and swimming as a major part of their built, and be a Khajiit. As part of that, I plan on taking:

* Cannot Use Magicka In Daylight
* Cannot Use Magicka In Darkness
* Cannot Regenerate Magicka

And:

* Spell Absorption

Is this viable?
Last edited by Narf the Mouse on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Re: Does spell absorption require free space in your magicka bar?

Post by Interkarma »

Spell absorption is "all or nothing". Either you can swallow the whole amount onto your empty magicka bar or the full damage goes through.

I like the idea of stopping magicka regen to help maintain an empty bar. Now all you need is a way to dump that excess magicka you absorb later. Considering your other limitations, it would be impossible to cast anything to shed spell points.

What we need is a "spell leech" item effect that will drain your own spell points from a "cursed" item. This side effect doesn't exist in classic spell maker, but it could be added later.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:32 am Spell absorption is "all or nothing". Either you can swallow the whole amount onto your empty magicka bar or the full damage goes through.

I like the idea of stopping magicka regen to help maintain an empty bar. Now all you need is a way to dump that excess magicka you absorb later. Considering your other limitations, it would be impossible to cast anything to shed spell points.

What we need is a "spell leech" item effect that will drain your own spell points from a "cursed" item. This side effect doesn't exist in classic spell maker, but it could be added later.
Or a "spell leak" disadvantage, that drains your magicka. Resting would (normally) allow you to regain your magicka, but slower than normal; maybe half the usual rate.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Although with the specific setup, a "spell leak" disadvantage would be an advantage.

Maybe a spell absorption advantage for characters who can't use magic, which isn't as effective, but doesn't require free space?

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm Although with the specific setup, a "spell leak" disadvantage would be an advantage.

Maybe a spell absorption advantage for characters who can't use magic, which isn't as effective, but doesn't require free space?
perhaps a "spell cancel" advantage that negates magic at the cost of magicka and only works while you have magicka. the cost should probably be a % of you magicka so it isn't more advantageous to a magic class than any other class

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Feralwarlord wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm Although with the specific setup, a "spell leak" disadvantage would be an advantage.

perhaps a "spell cancel" advantage that negates magic at the cost of magicka and only works while you have magicka. the cost should probably be a % of you magicka so it isn't more advantageous to a magic class than any other class
That'd be an interesting opposite.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

We should make a topic over in Modding about all kinds of new additions to the character generator. This one is an excellent start.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 am We should make a topic over in Modding about all kinds of new additions to the character generator. This one is an excellent start.
And that is an excellent point.

Actually, why not just move and rename this thread, and keep using it?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Moved to the modder feature request forum now. You should be able to edit your first post and rename title.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thanks Interkarma.

Now then, what about damage resistance as a chargen trait? Resist normal weaponry for human opponents, resist natural damage for all beast types, and resist magical damage for atronach, vampire, and daedric types. Maybe 25% or 33% lower.

And a magicka-conversion trait: if magicka is not full, health will not regen during rest but magicka will regen at double speed. If magicka is full, health regens normally during rest.

And a magicka regeneration trait, complementary to health regeneration.