Dreaming: overhauled procedural generation and other Tamriel provinces

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Rytelier

Dreaming: overhauled procedural generation and other Tamriel provinces

Post by Rytelier »

Daggerfall has world in scale of real world, but it's super boring. Heh. Old game got pretty ambitious. But now we are in 2018, the tech gone forward a lot and we have a Daggerfall remake on a powerful engine, what more is needed?

As tradition is in TES games, there will be mods that will completely flip graphics upside down and make it modern. But graphics won't look that good without completely overhauled landscapes. And it will need some completely remade procedural generation algorithms, that will add more than just randomly scattered trees. Yes, this is hard and very ambitious and I'm not expecting modders to make it in 5 minutes, but anyway, it should be tried at least.
Allow the world for more variety, dense forests, rivers, lakes, canyons, mountains, etc.
Also better dungeons, with more variety and different variants, allowing not only for expansive crypts, but also caves, dwemer ruins, etc.
Maybe there are some good free Unity libraries that can help with that?

Also as another TES modding tradition is, modding other Tamriel provinces into the game. It would be interesting to have different lands in real world scale. I'd like to see Morrowind like this, just imagine:
https://www.deviantart.com/thornspine/a ... -486142377

I don't know how much is it possible to achieve, if there's someone experienced with that, tell me.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Dreaming: overhauled procedural generation and other Tamriel provinces

Post by Narf the Mouse »

As an Easter Egg, if you play the game for thirty in-game years and are arrested in Cyrodiil, you wake up in the Imperial Dungeons with an annoying Dunmer in the opposite cell...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

I would like to see both of Rytelier's ideas come to life. More variety in landscapes would be nice, but modding in other provinces - that would open up a world of new possibilities. On the other side, it must be a ton of work just to make a model of how to achieve these goals.
On the long run, though, even things that seem very remote now can be possible. I am a new forum member and as I read through some of the older posts, I guess some years ago the idea that DFU will once be nearing its 1.0 release could have been considered just a dream into the distant future. Now it seems real and approaching. Perhaps in time, we will see other unlikely ideas implemented as well. And enjoy.

UPDATE: just thought I link in this other thread about more provinces.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

This was exactly the idea behind Tamriel rebuilt. That has been going on since before Morrowind came out. Still that world is tiny. The ability to procedurally generate intervening space between sculpted elements. Along with procedural generation based on human propagation, predation and construction. I believe this is what is needed.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

Does anybody currently work on such a project? (I haven't seen any trace of such activity here in the forums yet.)
What do you think the chances are such a world compatible with the DFU Unity engine will be created in the foreseeable future (say 2-3 years)?
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

Khrome

Post by Khrome »

For that matter, i'd love to see someone trying to re-create the entire heightmap of the game, keeping the general shapes, but inputting some simulations for rivers, lakes, erosion, geological makeup of the regions, etc: Creating a realistic landscape, rather than a 'random' procedural one as it were, with realistically placed rivers, lakes, hills, mountains, cliffsides, etc: Also with 'proper' forests and open plains (rather than the 'half open forest' we have currently), and farms in the vicinity of small and medium towns.

I've always wondered: AFAIK Daggerfall is supposed to be a port town, but it's not even close to the water. Some remoddeling of the base heightmap (or making the game use a much higher res one to generate the rest of the landscape with) would be a neat project.

Very far future though, i suspect :)

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

As far as I'm aware, you can't expand the map size of Daggerfall, only add to what is there. That being said, it should be possible to make a Tamriel map of the same size of what Daggerfall is now. Of course this means Highrock and Hammerfell would be smaller, but honestly, the provinces would still be larger than any of those belonging to projects being worked on for other TES games.
Last edited by Jarlyjarljarl on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Khrome wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:17 pm I've always wondered: AFAIK Daggerfall is supposed to be a port town, but it's not even close to the water. Some remoddeling of the base heightmap (or making the game use a much higher res one to generate the rest of the landscape with) would be a neat project.
This is because Daggerfall is supposed to be near a large river, but the game doesn't have any.