Exit dungeon dialog buttons

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

Exit dungeon dialog buttons

Post by pango »

Talking about ergonomics, what about replacing

Code: Select all

Do you want to access your wagon?
         [YES] [NO]
with

Do you want to:
  {ACCESS WAGON] [EXIT DUNGEON]
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Re: Teleport spell anchor active icon

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 pm Talking about ergonomics, what about replacing

Do you want to access your wagon?
         [YES] [NO]
with

Do you want to:
  [ACCESS WAGON] [EXIT DUNGEON]
Great idea. I'm all for DFU cleaning up what I consider sloppy interface like this (unnecessary clicking and/or unclear directions to achieve a simple result). This would be a similar improvement in principle to another one I suggested here (https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042): "5) Move health/disease status info from second Status pop-up to character sheet and/or HUD." Having to click through two windows instead of just to one to see character disease status never made any sense to me in classic, and it still doesn't in DFU. We've already seen other changes to classic interface behavior like this that are only for the good.

Hazelnut

Re: Teleport spell anchor active icon

Post by Hazelnut »

Might make a nice little mod. Not sure about changing this for core, as it's this way to match classic. However I understand - it's too easy to clock the wrong option if not paying attention. If added to core it will need a config switch for sure so DFU can still match classic for the purists.

First it will need some button graphics to be created by someone - like the ones in BUTTONS.RCI, anyone prepared to do this? Not entirely sure how to extend these buttons transparently, but I'll start thinking about it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Re: Exit dungeon dialog buttons

Post by mikeprichard »

It seems almost impossible - sometimes arbitrary - to attempt to distinguish between which small but significant interface improvements like this would be better done through mods or through base DFU options (going back to the arrow count example - I wouldn't want to have to load a mod just for that great enhancement). Still, I agree with Hazelnut that like all of these enhancements, it should be added to the already large list of interface options in the base game if implemented to ensure purists can still get their clunky original interface on. :) For such a small non-gameplay-affecting change, I can't think myself why anyone would ever want to revert to the classic version (too many options can be a bad thing as well), but to each their own.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's just us trying to stick to base DFU being a modern re-implementation of Daggerfall, while still ironing out some of the nastier UI stuff. The UI like other parts of the game, uses the original datafiles. While mods can use custom high res graphics, the base DFU distribution uses the original UI images - by design. These give some restriction to what can be easily changed. For example, the request you made for mana display on character sheet would require this image to be changed or overridden. Hence it's more a mod thing.

So is this suggestion because it will need new buttons, but I'm more okay with some additive things (i.e. not changing an existing thing) - hence the info panel I did. :)

I think we're going to need to consider providing two initial configs when we release it - classic & enhanced. But that bridge is a way off yet.

(Note: opinion is mine, other core devs may disagree)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

No, that actually makes sense now that you put it like that. To my mind, the benefits of the stuff on my/Ziune Wolf's list and the other things you've added are similar (they're all to the good), but the actual implementation of changing existing screens (which many of my requests, as well as the current request, would entail) vs. adding entirely new optional UI does need to be considered. I also fully realize it's a lot easier for a non-dev like me to throw ideas out there than it is to actually do the painstaking work of wiring them up in game!

That said, in this same vein, I remember months ago - though can't find it now - that Interkarma was considering having the shop "quality" text when entering a shop display on the HUD itself as opposed to as a separate pop-up window that requires a click to close. Did this actually get implemented, and if not, is it still in the works? As I've said before, it's the additive polish of all of these seemingly small yet collectively very significant changes that has me the most excited about DFU vs. classic.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I put that in a while back, around the same time I added shop quality text initially. Set the following in settings.ini.

ShopQualityPresentation = 1
ShopQualityHUDDelay = 4
ShopQualityPresentation=1 enables the option. And ShopQualityHUDDelay=4 is the number of seconds message will display before it starts scrolling away.
shop-quality-hud.jpg
shop-quality-hud.jpg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Great - thanks for the reminder, Interkarma!