Things about lighting and levels

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
jayhova

Things about lighting and levels

Post by jayhova »

I really like the fact that you can turn down the ambient lighting in the game. That being said, I have noticed a couple of things that were probably not obvious when the light levels were fixed higher.

The first thing is that when you enter a scene that scene starts off at vanilla light levels and then that gets corrected. The effect is that say at 0.5 the light level starts at 1.0 and then dims down. This really breaks verisimilitude for me. When you step out of a bright place into a dark place your sensitivity to light creeps up not down. This is to say no one walks out of a well-lit area into a dark one seeing really well and then having their vision turn poor, Starting at say 0.1 and come up in value would be more realistic because that how vision works in the real world.

The second thing I have noticed is that windows in towns cities etc. do not emit light. They are illuminated but do not emit any light even dimly. How hard would this be to fix? Not a big deal in vanilla but noticeable in low light situations.

Does the condition of the night sky affect light? With two moons the Tamriel nights should vary considerably in light and this would be modified more by cloud cover.

Last thing, does anyone plan to introduce a mod to add racial night vision? Night vision where poorly illuminated things are better illuminated but with lower color saturation would be sweet.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Things about lighting and levels

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hmm... Something could probably be done with a neural network trained to recognize windows? I haven't really done much NN work.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Lots of things emit light in DFU. I don't see why windows would be much different. The real trick is making the light directional.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

jayhova wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 pm The first thing is that when you enter a scene that scene starts off at vanilla light levels and then that gets corrected. The effect is that say at 0.5 the light level starts at 1.0 and then dims down. This really breaks verisimilitude for me.
I noticed the same thing, and it's not hard to remove light damping:
7627e9c
The question is, why was it done that way... Is it to smooth day/night transitions, or some other transitions? I feel like it should be better fix at the source (say, compute smoother light conditions during dawn and dusk).
And then people can put EyeAdaptation effect from PostProcessing mod on top if they really want to...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart