So I thought a little about multiplayer...

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
EpicSpellsword404

So I thought a little about multiplayer...

Post by EpicSpellsword404 »

...and here's the idea I came up with.
Each player creates their character, then starts in their own dungeon. They fight their way out, then begin trying to kill the other players. Everything in the world is basically vanilla daggerfall except there's no main quest and some bugs/exploits are fixed. For resting and fast traveling, time only skips when every player is resting or fast traveling also. Players have to ask around to find other players, but asking around more will lead to more people knowing about them. Spells and potions would be bound to the number keys or something for faster use.
Obviously DFTU isn't at this stage yet but when it is, this could be an interesting project.
Thoughts?

LypyL

Re: So I thought a little about multiplayer...

Post by LypyL »

I think it would be a very challenging game to implement One thing I'm not clear on - would this be a persistent game, or more like a deathmatch?

>For resting and fast traveling, time only skips when every player is resting or fast traveling also.

You hit on something that I've spent a lot of time pondering how to deal with myself. There definitely isn't an easy solution to it!

EpicSpellsword404

I was thinking of a deathmatch here. I think it would be better than a persistant game because in a persistant game the people who haven't been playing for a long time would get crushed. Not to mention the whole problem with people leaving the game world. It would also probably be best for this to be played by only a few people, otherwise it would take forever.

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

One thing you can do is just have a normal world, with every player doing their own quests (with some PvP quests, such as bounty hunting), but have every player with thier own "clock". So fast traveling would only advance time for quests with that player. If a player is attacked while resting, it would automatically stop the resting timer.

Aliem

Post by Aliem »

LorrMaster42 wrote:One thing you can do is just have a normal world, with every player doing their own quests (with some PvP quests, such as bounty hunting), but have every player with thier own "clock". So fast traveling would only advance time for quests with that player. If a player is attacked while resting, it would automatically stop the resting timer.
If feasible engine-wise, this could work. It's similar to how Final Fantasy XIV is set up. It could also allow for some group play for bigger dungeons; makeshift raids and whatnot.

EpicSpellsword404

That's not very realistic though.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

EpicSpellsword404 wrote:That's not very realistic though.
It'd (probably) be more fun and (probably) simpler to implement, though. I favour *"realism" over hand-waving, but fun > realism.

* Insomuch as that applies to fictional game worlds.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Well, if deathmatch is the case, then the game would not have much common with Daggerfall as we know it.

I see no reason to stick with DF mechanics, so I would propose stamina regeneration (completely disabling rest options). In_game_time should advance more rapidly though.

And fast traveling could be sort of instantaneous. However, to prevent "missuse" of fast travel as an option to easily get away from your opponent, when another palyer is nearby (should have much longer reach than in original DF) the fast traveling player would be frozen for... let's say... 30 seconds and making him somehow highlighted to make him really vulnerable. Notice of his destination to the neaby player would also be nice ... but pretty useless unless you know all the locations by name :D. Maybe a "follow" option? Anyone have seen the movie called Jumper? :D Now that I think about it, fast travel should never be instantaneous, maybe 15 secs waiting would be a good compromise "when noone is around", to prevent the jumping escape.

However, I see no point in this kind of deathmatch in a vast, yet empty and dead, world. But who knows, it might be fun. :)

EpicSpellsword404

The whole point is having a deathmatch in a vast, empty, dead world! It's gloriously nihilistic. And yes, no fast travel with people around. What I'm not sure about is casting recall. It would make things interesting, but a lot more difficult.
I like instant fast travel and stamina regeneration. It should probably have magicka regen also, like Oblivion.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I can also imagine capture the flag in Privateer's Hold. Red flag in starting cave, Blue flag in exit room. The throne room is a natural choke point for both sides. And no monsters, just lots of stupidly unbalanced spell-slinging fun. :D