As leveling bar? Or?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
BansheeXYZ

Re: As leveling bar? Or?

Post by BansheeXYZ »

mikeprichard wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 pmI never thought of that! That could be one simple way to show the progress from one skill level to the next. Of course, that would be yet another DFU option (I could imagine some hardcore purists who wouldn't want to see decimals), but in my opinion, as long as these game options are clearly labeled and organized (as they are in the current DFU frontend), more UI options like this for players who want more accessible game data are not a bad thing.
The problem I see with it is that it creates potential confusion. Classic requires you to rest before actually realizing a full increment. So once it ticks from 55.99 to 56.00, (a) you aren't actually at 56 yet until you rest and (b) it can't go any higher until you rest. That's not readily apparent by looking at numbers, and we don't want people to think their skills are stuck or high enough for a promotion when they're not.

If skill gains were immediate, your idea would work fine. So it's probably better to pair the idea with a third party mod that changes that mechanic.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 am
mikeprichard wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 pmI never thought of that! That could be one simple way to show the progress from one skill level to the next. Of course, that would be yet another DFU option (I could imagine some hardcore purists who wouldn't want to see decimals), but in my opinion, as long as these game options are clearly labeled and organized (as they are in the current DFU frontend), more UI options like this for players who want more accessible game data are not a bad thing.
The problem I see with it is that it creates potential confusion. Classic requires you to rest before actually realizing a full increment. So once it ticks from 55.99 to 56.00, (a) you aren't actually at 56 yet until you rest and (b) it can't go any higher until you rest. That's not readily apparent by looking at numbers, and we don't want people to think their skills are stuck or high enough for a promotion when they're not.

If skill gains were immediate, your idea would work fine. So it's probably better to pair the idea with a third party mod that changes that mechanic.
Rather than using a decimal there could be a tooltip for each skill to give you progress on leveling up each skill and when the skill is ready to level up the tooltip can tell you that you need to rest to level it up (or if you already recently leveled it up that you need to rest for X hrs to level the skill up)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Feralwarlord wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 am Rather than using a decimal there could be a tooltip for each skill to give you progress on leveling up each skill and when the skill is ready to level up the tooltip can tell you that you need to rest to level it up (or if you already recently leveled it up that you need to rest for X hrs to level the skill up)
That could work; thanks! As I noted earlier, each skill is already nested within a tooltip on the character sheet, so edits would need to be made to that existing tooltip. But I see this as possible as part of a broader (and sorely needed) UI overhaul down the road.

pango

Post by pango »

pango wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 pm Level ups are triggered by skills increase, you need 15 to raise a level, so I guess that, at very least, you could get one level up gauge with 15 notches...
I noticed (thanks Zaric stream for the reminder btw) that the Loading Screen mod already has this. So there's an example of code just for that (and the formula is not too complex either)

Code: Select all

PlayerEntity playerEntity = GameManager.Instance.PlayerEntity;
float currentLevel = (playerEntity.CurrentLevelUpSkillSum - playerEntity.StartingLevelUpSkillSum + 28f) / 15f;
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Pango. Submitted a PR so clicking on level label shows the percentage progress to the next level.

Note: will not be correct if CalculatePlayerLevel() formula is changed by mods.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

And one more UI request related to the level label info (which I was happy to see added, as I'd also requested it!):

Add tooltip info displaying leveling progress in each skill (as in Morrowind)

See my and Feralwarlord's posts just above here in this topic. Specifically, the percentage shown for each skill within the skills popup windows on the character sheet could be changed into a decimal, such that e.g. when Long Blade is halfway to skill level 56, the popup window would show "55.50%" for that skill. Then, as actually achieving the next skill level requires the player to rest first, when it's time for the next skill level, the popup window would show "55.99%" with an associated note appearing within the window stating "You must rest to reach the next level in this skill."; an asterisk or similar within the popup window could mark this as a footnote to the appropriate skill(s) whenever it applies. This would have the added benefit of making this "rest is required to level skills" mechanic clear to the new generation of Daggerfall/DFU players, as I've seen confusion on this before. Anyway, would be cool to see this in base DFU sometime.