Predefined classes used as templates

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

Predefined classes used as templates

Post by pango » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't remember if I mentioned this idea before, so in case I didn't:

After you selected some predefined class, DFU could display some message dialog "Review class? Y/N" and if you reply Yes would bring the custom class screen, but with the predefined class definition already filled in.
That way:
- it would raise awareness about classes customization;
- it allows to check what exactly predefined classes are;
- play predefined classes with some adjustments, if you don't like some of the settings;
- that could even become the preferred way to speed up character creation: not start from scratch but from the closest predefined class.

Maybe the class name should be altered (say append a "*" at the end?) if the class is no longer pristine? I'm not sure it's worth the trouble in a single player game, but maybe have something in logs for support debugging?
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Feralwarlord

Re: Predefined classes used as templates

Post by Feralwarlord » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:09 pm

I like this idea

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 am

Yes, please go forward with this idea! This would allow for easier creation of balanced custom classes. Starting from existing templates sounds great!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am

Hmm... I understand that (some?) predefined classes get extras that custom classes do not? Certainly, the Mage starts with different starting spells. That's a question that probably should be addressed. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.