2D to 3D and Stealth Overhaul...

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Failinbad

2D to 3D and Stealth Overhaul...

Post by Failinbad »

So first and foremost I have to say how amazing this game has come along. I had checked it out last year and it was one of those projects I didn't think would ever really be completed. But after playing for a while yesterday with some mods, I was stunned how far this has come and its playable. Congrats to everyone and their hard work. Daggerfall was always a favorite of mine and I'm still amazed at the scope of the game. I regret not really keeping up with this in the last year.

So on to the next subject, I'm taking some beginners courses in Unity and Blender.And I'd love to contribute to work on my skills and just to be a part of this. Two things I'm really interested in. First and foremost converting the enemy and NPC Sprites into 3d objects. I'd be willing to collab and help out in any way if there's anyone already working on this. I'm not even sure within the context of the engine if its possible or how difficult it would be. Any advice in that area would be greatly appreciated.

The second thing is, I primarily play stealth characters. I had been reading that the stealing function was so impossible in the game that most people just assumed it was broken. I haven't gotten to a high enough level to see if it had been addressed but the stealth mechanics are something that I'd like to work on as well. I'd like the sneak to be more useful/intuitive especially for stealth attacking characters. Again any advice as to if this would even be possible and how difficult it would probably be would be greatly appreciated as well. I'm going to keep digging around and see how much of this I can answer myself. But any input into how doable these things would be is much appreciated. Again thanks for your hard work and dedication to bringing Daggerfall back.

Narf the Mouse

Re: 2D to 3D and Stealth Overhaul...

Post by Narf the Mouse »

For models, a good place to start would be this guy's UMA tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIhCV ... AX7H9Uo6jg

UMA is a Unity modelling package. Simple explanation is that it allows you to set up characters who can wear clothing, armour, pointed ears, whatever, and collapse that into one mesh and texture. High-level explanation is that it will work with any type of model, and any type of change to that model, so long as it's handled through UMA.

Anyway, the tutorials can explain it a lot better than I can. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.