Hand-maded main quest cities

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
CrazyCyrodilicCat

Hand-maded main quest cities

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

Hello. I'd like to see handmade major cities like Daggerfall or Sentinel in the game. To be honest, I would have done it myself, but first of all, that map of Daggerfall that I have implies a river that, as you know, is not in the original game city. The fact is that this river should flow from somewhere and flow into somewhere. That is, the idea is so complex that in order to make one single city on the river, you need to think through, draw and somehow introduce into the game a map of rivers and heights, and in general the entire landscape.

http://theshatteredempireseries.wikia.c ... all_(city)

Narf the Mouse

Re: Hand-maded main quest cities

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I think some sort of terrain-following spline generator mod would make river and road mods a lot more viable.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I think some sort of terrain-following spline generator mod would make river and road mods a lot more viable.
The trouble with those is, you never know where they go... It's fine for a completely procedural world, but if you have some requirements for where your river is supposed to flow through, anything other than micro-generation is generally a bad idea.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

jedidia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:08 pm
The trouble with those is, you never know where they go... It's fine for a completely procedural world, but if you have some requirements for where your river is supposed to flow through, anything other than micro-generation is generally a bad idea.
In that case, you'd replace the generated spline input with manual input.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 pm
jedidia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:08 pm
In that case, you'd replace the generated spline input with manual input.
I was thinking that the way to do that is to determine where your must go areas are and start lowering the terrain in that area. You could think of these as anchor points. Create an anchor point at the sea and several more drawing a line through your city. These anchor points pull the terrain lower. All that is necessary is that these anchor points be lower than the surrounding area. Your spline can then follow terrain from your first anchor point down to your last at the sea. This spline is then used to level the terrain along which it runs so the drop along the path is consistent. For reference, the drop of the mississippi is about 1.2 per mile. Once the path has been determined, the terrain around the path is biased. High areas are eroded and low areas are filled. In certain hilly areas this could have a dramatic effect creating cliffs and gorges. Finally, the river path itself is carved out. River beds in steep declines tend to have a deeper width to depth ratio say maybe 2:1 or more while a slow moving river might be closer to 30:1.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.