Example of Full Remaster Daggerfall

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Biboran

Example of Full Remaster Daggerfall

Post by Biboran »

At first, sorry for my English :lol:
And sorry for quad post. Everything is not included in one because limitations

Daggerfall is a great game, but it is empty, flawed. Technical limitations and the lack of development time made the fact that many of the features have not been implemented. Here in the forum, and on the XL engine forum was suggested many ideas about how the game can be made more alive or how can be added features that we love in other, more modern TES games. In this concept, I want to describe how to do it. And also describe how to make TESII more varied, less random, and full of content, not diminishing the merits of the original.

0.Introduction
Number of of content and the size of the map, at first glance, do not allow to make a game with lots of manual work, detailed quests, cities and factions. But I believe that if you perceive Daggerfall as a platform for content creation, all things are possible. For example, as follows: the content is more important than the more manual work. Dungeons on the main quest, as well as cities such as Daggerfall, Wayrest, Orsinium, Sentinel, etc. - can be fully handmaded. A provincial villages and a lot of caves and all like that, can be generated. Another important aspect, the replacement of all models and sprites and a significant expansion of them. The original set of resoures is small, and It can not display all the available variety. But more on that later. Referring to the models themselves, they do not have to be a very high poly. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Pc2iX63yges/U ... rior01.jpg - this is example how can look like typical NPC or monster model.

1.Landscape and nature/climate zones
In the original game, there are only several climatic zones and the almost complete absence of any complex landscape.
I suggest starting with a global - first generated on a common map more realistic landscape itself. Of course, it is impossible to do all handmaded in this very big map, but it is possible to make the main mountain ranges, valleys, beaches, lakes and the river looked much more real than they are now. Today we can generate more realistic landscape. Then, at subsequent stages of the individual sections may be made in more detail if it required. Most importantly - a much greater variety of terrestrial ecosystems, climatic zones. And they need to be much better detaild. Ravines, cliffs, rocks, lakes and streams, meadows and swamps, and so on. And each of the areas has its own set of objects (plants, trees, animals, weather, rocks, ground textures etc.). Examples of zones:
In the western coastal counties of Hammerfell (Abibon-Gora, Kairou, Pothago) it can be like in central Africa, http://static.tonkosti.ru/images/7/72/% ... %D1%8B.jpg On the coast - still water with thickets, then ultisol with few trees, rolling in a shroud with the drying up rivers and lakes.
In the eastern Hammerfell regions, which are separated by a dragontail mountain ridge, there a Indian or a South American jungle.
Northen Glenumbra (in ESO all peninsula of High Rock calls Glenubra) territories (Ykalon, Phrygias) had zone looks like northen England https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... e26c77.jpg
Territories around Wayrest had warm broadleaved forests.
etc.
Last edited by Biboran on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biboran

Re: Example of Full Remaster Daggerfall

Post by Biboran »

2.The uniqueness of the regions and cities
Different climate determines the difference between the culture in various regions. Original TESII had only two cultures - "European" Bretons and Arab-like Redguards. However, it is possible to increase the peculiarity of almost every county.
Some examples:
The most obvious is Orsinium and Isles of Balfiera. First - kingdom of Orcs. Second - Direnni Hegemony of Altmers.
Glenumbra moors in my imagination looks like Gilneas from World of Warcraft http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/moo ... 0430155047 http://pre14.deviantart.net/e3f7/th/pre ... aetapa.jpg http://pre11.deviantart.net/0f69/th/pre ... 34zktb.jpg . Dark, rainy, with a dash of Victorian England style. The main towns on the small rocky hills, the rest of the territory - swamps. Lots of fog. The people here are quiet. They wear dark clothes mainly have pale skin.
Shalgora County, located along the eponymous full-flowing river, which flows from the Illesian Hills. The basis of the population - farmers, whose water and air mills stretched throughout the county meadows. http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q58 ... g~original The villages here are similar to those that are located in the alpine meadows, and the Bretons who lives there in their culture is similar to the Austrians.
Ilessian hills is duchy, situated in the mountains. There is almost no place to grow food, so people exchange minerals extracted in the mountains on grain from Shalgora. The Bretons who live here are very strong people. They still retained many of the habits and traditions of the Nords. They tamed the huge mountain sheeps as a sled and pack animals.
Wayrest rich county with a warm climate. People here love to dream about the sublime and similar in some ways to the Greeks and Spaniards.
People of Alik'r desert are nomads. Similar to the Bedouin, they have a few large settlements. The largest towns built around the ruins of the Dwemer cities. Smaller settlements nothing more than temporary parking, consisting of tents or underground huts dug in the sand.
Regions of Kozanest, Totambu, Lainlyn, Satakalaam, Mournoth - very similar to the kingdoms in India. The ancient stone sculptures, huge statues, elephants and jungles. Redguards who live there also look like the Indians.
Betony - Very interesting island. Daggerfall and Sentinel fought in a bloody war for control over it. Here died infamous mad emperor. Once upon a time I made my version of the map:
Spoiler!
Abibon-Gora, Kairou, Pothago had African like kingdoms. http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp ... /mossi.jpg People who live here look like the Africans too. They are the closest to what looked like acient Yokudans.
Ephesus - isolated big valley, surrounded by mountains like a bowl. Huge mines with fancy machinery stolen from Dwemer ruins are the basis of the local economy. You can get here through the dangerous mountain passes or through huge tunnels, caves and mines.
etc.

3.Dungeons and places.
Dungeons in Daggerfall, even made manually, are made from a small set of "parts". Filled with a small set of "random" monsters, most of them - a standard set of fantasy (rat, spider, a centaur, a bear, a lich). It is small and quickly bored, moreover, does not allow to create a thematic dungeon and place. Instead of pure randomness, I suggest using a set of types of dungeons, each type has its own set of enemies and modules.
A list of some possible types of dungeons:
+ Dwemer ruins - common in Hammerfell. They have a small above-ground part and vast dungeons and workshops filled with lost race machinery.
+ Nordic ruins - Nords long time keep High Rock in the occupation. Many of their temples and tombs located here. They are inhabited by various monsters like draugrs.
+ Direnni ruins - Now Direnni remaining inhabited islands of the archipelago around adamantium tower, but in the past their influence extended much further. Ruins of old altmer fortifications - monuments to their former greatness.
+ Ayleid ruins - There are not many in this region, but there are. Basically, on the southern coast of High Rock
+ Breton crypt - burial Breton graphs, heroes and just essential persons. Robbers and necromancers like this tombs. Sometimes very intricate and spacious, they can become a real maze for the unprepared traveler.
+ The animal burrow - bear dens, underground nests of harpies, spider lair etc.
+ Mines - they are different. Working or not. Local or Imperial. The empty mine may be a home for gang of orcs and terrifying monsters.
+ Caves - is probably the most common type of dungeon. Natural underground tunnels in the rocks, never know in advance who can dwell there.
A list of some possible places:
+ Spriggans Glade - a place where the power of nature is particularly strong. This is home for creatures like Spriggans.
+ Giants Camp - these build by creatures live mainly in the mountains, where they often set up their camps, lined with stones and totems of primitive forms.
+ Runestones - left after the Nordic occupation religious altars.
+ Orc camp - not all orcs decided to join Orsinium. Many profess to old traditions and live in small bands.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

4.Factions and Quests.
Faction system - one of the most important element of the major quest lines. In the original game, the vast majority of quests - random. I think at least some factions may have a certain amount of handmaded quests.
Variant of list of factions:
Polirical Fractions(mutually exclusive):
A.Daggerfall Covenant
B.Wayrest Union
C.Sentinel Dominion
Of course, all counties are independent, but I believe that before the warp of the west counties be in alliances. Player can join in one of this alliances and try to help counties, consisting in the union. Example of Quest for Daggerfall Covenant: The discovery of new mines in Morrowind devalued many minerals in the imperial market. Illesian hills who bought the grain in Shalgora now can not do it in the required quantity. Moreover, Shalgorian nobles sells all grain in Anticlere after Betony war. People of Illesian are beginning to starve. Count of Illesian Hills threatened to withdraw from the covenant, as well as to build a dam on the river Shalgora. The consequences can be horrific. You must find a way to reconcile this counties.
Neutral Political fractions:
A.Ykalon (part of the Camlorn) (-Daggerfall)
B.Direnni (+ Pirates -Dagerfall)
C.Orsinium (-Wayrest -Order of the Black Worm)
D.Alik'r (-Sentinel)
E.Dak'Fron (part of the Gilane)
"-" means a negative attitude
Not political factions:
A.Dark brotherhood
B.Blades (formally you part of the Blades from the begining)
C.Pirates of Iliac Bay (-Legion + Thieves Guild + Direnni)
D.Imperial Legion (-Pirates + Cults)
D1.Imperial Cult (Legion Ally, not playable)
D2.Census and Excise (an ally of Legion, not playable)
E.Vampire Clans (3 Clans) (-Werewolves, -Withces -Cults)
F.Witch covens (2 covens) (-Vampires, -Werewolves -Cults)
G.Werewolves packs (2 packs, werewolves and wereboars, mutually exclusive) (-Vampires, -Withces -Cults)
H.Cults of the nine (9 units, friendly to each other) (-Vampires, werewolves, witches + Legion)
I.Order of the Black Worm (-Orsinium)
J.Thieves Guild (2 sub-guild, High Rock and Hammerfell, friendly to each other) (+ Pirates)
K.Fighters Guild (3 sub-guild, one for each polirical fraction, neutral to each other)
L.Gildii magicians (3 sub-guild, one for each polirical fraction, friendly to each other) (+ Teleportatory + moth Order)
L1.Travelers League (Allies of the Mages Guild, not playable)
L2.Cult of the Ancestor Moth (allies of the Mages Guild, not playable)
Associated with political factions:
Daggerfall: A.Knight Orders (3 Orders, mutually exclusive, you must be in the Covenant fraction)
Wayrest: A.Knight Orders (2 Orders, mutually exclusive, you must be in the Union fraction)
Sentinel: A.Brotherhoods of Honor (2 Brotherhoods, mutually exclusive, you must be in Dominion fraction)
Ykalon: A.Penitus Okulatus (Order in Blades, operating openly, not playable) B.Expedition of The College of Winterhold
I know that at the current lore Penitus Okulatus appeared only in the fourth era. But they can be in the third like part of the Blades. They can change blades in this http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Castle_Llugwych

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

5.Role-playing game system and gameplay
Many skills are simply useless. Some were not even made. I Dema, is to make a huge number of changes to the role-playing system, associated with a general change in the game. For example, language skills to do a certain perks - the player either knows or does not know the language. At the same time, each new language can be learned during the game. Another option may be to change the system of magic, armor and clothing systems too. In addition, it may appear such skills as plant collection, or perks, such as horse riding. This is a huge topic, but it will depend on the preceding paragraphs.

6.Music
Music in Daggerfall has a set of tracks under certain weather or location. However, I think that it is possible to slightly change this system. As a basis we can take the system from Morrowind. But amendments to the territory. In certain areas / dungeon will have its own small sets of tunes. For example, music set that will be play only in deserts of Hamerfell. Or music set for Dwemer Dungeons, for cities etc.

7.Bonus
My map of Iliac bay based on fan TESIII version of Tamriel Map:
Spoiler!
So this is may vision of Daggerfall in my dreams :D