Storage boxes for ships?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
johnwax

Storage boxes for ships?

Post by johnwax »

Thought I had posted this once, but apparently not - will try again.

For all my chars, I buy a small ship as soon as I can afford to. I use it for storage as I like to 'collect'. My 'collection' is weapons by material in one hold, armor in another and books, magic items I want to keep, ingredients, etc in a third.

There are only two boxes in the main hold, so my 'collection' is in discrete piles in each hold. Any chance of including a bunch of storage boxes in each hold?

(It has always seemed weird to me that a cargo ship would have no cargo boxes)

Interkarma

Re: Storage boxes for ships?

Post by Interkarma »

Your first topic was moved to Mods & Features General (duplicate deleted). Anything that involves changing/upgrading the original game data will need a modder to pick it up.

It's likely possible to use Hazelnut's block editing workflow to add more storage options to the ship interior - including furnishings, decorations, and other RP elements. It would be nice to see this happen, I'd definitely use this mod. :)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Seems like one of the things Julian leFay would have included in the furniture store.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Keep in mind that DFU connects to your classic game data to read map layouts for world. If you want to alter the world in some way that differs from classic, it needs to be delivered via mod system.

If anyone is interested in tackling this one, check out the modding system primer maintained by TheLacus. And Hazelnut has some helpful information on adding new block data in this topic.

The two ship blocks that would need to be updated are the interiors for SHIPAA00.RMB and SHIPAA01.RMB. It shouldn't be too hard to scatter a few bits of furniture around the interior of each ship. Contents of containers should be automatically serialised as player is owner of the building.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

Thanks all for the info. Unfortunately, I am not a modder. My only foray was a Direnni Annex mod I made for Morrowind using their editor (my majordomo was orc sgt Thud N. Blunder, lately retired from Gortwog's Horde :) ). Anyway, would appreciate if this could be worked into someone's mod plans. Thanks.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This shouldn't be too hard for someone to do if they follow my guide. I might do it myself if no one else does.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods