Endless wagon prompts on exit

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Interkarma

Re: Endless wagon prompts on exit

Post by Interkarma »

Fair enough! I obviously have no way if knowing for sure, but I think it's likely the original devs had very similar conversations around wagon access inside of dungeons. :)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

pango wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 amI guess you didn't have Daggerfall Unity at hand then, it's easy to check.
I did check. There seems to be a bug where the first time you yes the prompt after starting the program, it doesn't do what you say.

That's why I only checked once. I used to avoid the wagon in my playthroughs because of the prompt it generates and because it wasn't helping me get money faster.

With the prompt gone, I'll happily use one for mobile storage, but probably not loot running. I seem to get way more loot AND rep per minute solely looking for quest targets. Any time spent backtracking explored areas and staring at the cobweb map is time you could spend looting the next quest's path to target. So when I use my 1 anchor, it's to leave. Make sense?
pango wrote:I agree it's less interrupting, but it feels way less ergonomic to me.
If I try to understand why it could feel that way, I'd say:
  • it's a simpler path: click a large door, answer a Y/N prompt. The Y/N prompt is not perfect, but it's still simpler that the other path;
Seeing as how you'll be accessing the wagon in places that aren't exits, it seems odd to have any method other than one that applies anywhere. Don't like the remove/equip modes? Me neither. Help me advocate for an alternative UI where there are none. Items move left and right between three panels. There are left and right mouse buttons. Could we maybe... move things left and right without setting a mode or worrying about which mode is preselected based on what access?

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm I did check. There seems to be a bug where the first time you yes the prompt after starting the program, it doesn't do what you say.
I can confirm the bug. To precise, it has to be the first time you open the inventory; If you open it before, then open it using dungeon exit prompt, it works correctly.
Problem seems to be the "if (IsSetup) { }" wrapping.around allowDungeonWagonAccess handling.

It even existed before the recent Hazelnut's changes. Damn.

PS I submitted a PR
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Is pango's fix going to be in the next round of builds?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I haven't reviewed them yet, but they seemed fine on a read. I don't see any issues at this time with merging those changes in the upcoming builds.

pango

Post by pango »

By the way, if somebody has an example of dungeon with a secondary exit door, I'm still looking for one :)
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Nice, thanks. Not sure about a dungeon with a secondary exit, though...

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 am By the way, if somebody has an example of dungeon with a secondary exit door, I'm still looking for one :)

I saw one recently in one of the youtube videos by Tamrielle. This one I think you'll have to hunt around for it.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

jayhova wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:33 am I saw one recently in one of the youtube videos by Tamrielle. This one I think you'll have to hunt around for it.
On my way, thank you!
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Here we go, Gaerwing's Guard, Wayrest, secondary dungeon exit door.
Accessing wagon by clicking on it works, but not by proximity, because the proximity is computed from the StartMarker and not exit doors...
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (316.98 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
SAVE311.zip
(610.63 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
-- Charles Goodhart