food and drink?

Talk about the mods or features you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

food and drink?

Post by meritamas » Sat May 25, 2019 4:46 pm

Anyone ever think of modding in food and drink?

As I imagine it would involve
- adding some 'artifacts' that would function as food and drink, respectively (like meats, grains, bread and water and the like)
- adding 'food' and 'drink' indicators to supplement the 'health', 'fatigua' and 'magicka' bars
- adding some places where food and drink could be bought (or adding these items to some existing shops' inventory)
- designing and implementing the underlying mechanics

It could work like:
- you start out with a full 'food' and 'drink' indicator
- these deplete as time progresses
- eating / drinking something recharges these bars
- if 'food' or 'drink' are at zero for a longer period of time, it could have some adverse effects on 'health', 'fatigue' and perhaps even 'magicka'

This could increase realism because food and drink have their own weight... if you go on a long adventure, you would need to carry these around with you or risk starving.
At this point, I aim to improve DFU by formulating ideas and working out some details of how things could work better.

Jay_H

Re: food and drink?

Post by Jay_H » Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm

We had talked about it a little awhile ago, but only in concept:
Jay_H wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:24 am
Food vendors: If a food/hunger system is implemented, it would be reasonable to have food vendors in general stores and taverns. This would presumably function independent of the tavern food option, which currently only restores health. Texture 213 offers some fruits, and other things could be reappropriated into new food sprites for the inventory. A very small and novice collection is here.

Hunger system: If the character has no food in the inventory, stamina will drop quickly (1/in-game minute perhaps). Depending on the food the character has in inventory, stamina may stabilize or increase over time. Every 6 or 8 in-game hours a food item is consumed, determining the character's new hunger and stamina disposition. Food is not be consumed during fast travel, and hunger disposition will remain as it was until 6 or 8 in-game hours have passed.
jayhova wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm
I really like the idea of food vendors. I also had this idea in reference to an expanded commerce add-on. The idea would be that at the beginning of the day, carts would spawn outside the city gates and make their way to the town square and similar areas. The number and size of the carts would be determined by the number of people to feed. Large cities would have a large number of good quality carts.
AFAIK, this is the first dedicated thread on the topic.
ON HIATUS. Will be difficult to find.
Come join the Unofficial Daggerfall Unity Discord.
See the Daggerfall Unity Wiki on the UESP.

jayhova

Post by jayhova » Mon May 27, 2019 1:07 pm

One of the things that should be addressed is how to handle drinking and water. I think it best to assume that the PC has a canteen and that as of now it adds no extra weight. Any time the player clicks a fountain, well, water pump the canteen is refilled. Resting in an inn does not count against used water and the canteen if full when you leave. Travelling refills your canteen once a day. You should be able to keep a water jug in your wagon. A create food and water spell would be useful. These are some ideas off the top of my head.

In any case the use of food and water should be automatic with a message when supplies are low.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. DFU Ver. Alpha 0.10.7

meritamas

Post by meritamas » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Jay_H wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm
AFAIK, this is the first dedicated thread on the topic.
Thank you, Jay_H. I am planning to go through your thread, which already seems to me a treasure trove of ideas, in the next couple of months. (Need to budget the time to process all those ideas :) )
jayhova wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:07 pm
One of the things that should be addressed is how to handle drinking and water. I think it best to assume that the PC has a canteen and that as of now it adds no extra weight. Any time the player clicks a fountain, well, water pump the canteen is refilled. Resting in an inn does not count against used water and the canteen if full when you leave. Travelling refills your canteen once a day. You should be able to keep a water jug in your wagon. A create food and water spell would be useful. These are some ideas off the top of my head.

In any case the use of food and water should be automatic with a message when supplies are low.
Thank you too, jayhova. Your ideas seem to be better than my original ones. By keeping things as automatic as possible we can achieve optimal results without food management using up too much of the player's time. I'll try to get back to this topic by the end of June with an updated plan.

UPDATE 30 June 2019: I'll try to get back to this sometime in the summer.
At this point, I aim to improve DFU by formulating ideas and working out some details of how things could work better.