Playing at 320x200

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jay_H

Re: Playing at 320x200

Post by Jay_H »

Cool! I'm happy this is a baked-in setting now :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome job mate. Cant wait for that!!
320x200
Something so nostalgic about that
This is what I call a parity with original, thank you :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this is cool stuff

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Very nice! I was thinking this sounded like a lot of work, but looking at what you had to change it seems it was quite easy for someone who knows what they are doing... :D
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The bit you don't see is all the wild flailing as I work out what to do. :)

Khrome

Post by Khrome »

Interkarma wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 am A whole lot of fuckballs amazing stuff

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Interkarma wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:09 am Done! All of the following will be in next round of builds:
  • Enable "Retro 320x200 World Rendering" on launcher UI to render world as crisp 320x200 with no blur. UI will still be rendered at your set resolution, so it's possible to have a retro world with an ultra-HD UI. For best results, use a 16:10 screen resolution like 1920x1200 to ensure world sprites are not stretched.
  • Fullscreen bordlerless window is now visible in background, so you can view other windows and start menu on top of DFU when alt-tabbing.
  • Windowed mode can now be resized by dragging on corners in the usual way.
  • Use Alt+Enter to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode while game is running. Note that returning to fullscreen will use the prior window resolution, so possible to end up with letterbox or pillarbox bars. Just restart game to reset normal fullscreen resolution.
In below example screenshots, "Retro 320x200 World Rendering" is enabled with a 16:10 game resolution of 1920x1200. World is crisp and chunky, UI is nice and smooth, and world sprites are not stretched. Seems to be a nice combination of retro and modern elements.
I love you! Believe it or not, I have registered just now with the sole intention of requesting this very feature, as I find playing DF i nactual 1080p to be quite jarring, as I want to keep it as close to original visually as possible, just without all the... you know, "Bethesda Features" :P

So thank you! I just wish there was a nightly build that I could try *right now* ;)

That being said, I would personally prefer a scaler option like DOSBox (2x-6x) for every resolution, as I would love to try 640x400 2x instead of 320x200, but at this point I will take anything other than Full HD.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

You can set DFU's resolution to 640x400 in the startup UI. The main issue the new 320x200 mode solves is that Unity forces linear filtering for its final presentation step, so you lose the crisper chunky-pixel look when rendering at such low resolutions (the UI becomes a bit shaggy as well). But it seems to do a decent job of 640x400 or 1280x800, even when stretched over a UHD screen.

I'm sure this stuff will be get tuned over time to suit a variety of tastes. There seems to be a huge spectrum of people between wanting pure classic looks through to fully upgraded everything. Hopefully with these settings in place and future mods, the majority of players will find a combination they can enjoy.

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Thanks cor the warm welcome :)

Yeah, setting the game to 640xXXX was the first thing I tried after the novelty of HD wore off, but that filtering was a no go for me. I thought that 640 would be a perfect compromise between VGA and HD. Sort of a SVGA upgrade to DF ;)

Too high of a resolution and/or filtered low res are the only thing that bothers me in DFU, aside from the "plasticky" shading fhat I'm still trying to counter via serrings/shaders to no avail. Other QOL improvements are quite frankly amazing.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'll see what I can do before next release. :)

Edit: OK, changed this setting to "RetroRenderingMode" which has options 0=off, 1=320x200, 2=640x400. Anything higher than that is approaching HD resolution anyway and can just use standard resolution settings. Slider to control this is now in Advanced > Video at startup.

As before, this is best experienced in a 16:10 resolution like 1920x1200. This will be pillarboxed on wide screen displays but maintains the classic aspect ratio when stretched over display surface.