Playing at 320x200

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Khrome

Playing at 320x200

Post by Khrome »

Not to be confused with a 'pixel shader', i wonder whether it's possible to emulate the 320x200 original resolution using a shader of some kind.

"Why" you would rightly ask? When not using any mods, the old graphics really look dated when playing at 1080p. However, they do look quite decent when playing at the resolution they were meant to be viewed in. So why not play the original? Well, i would still like the increased view distance, as well as the stability and the ability to use non-graphical mods :)

Going 320x200 and then fullscreen still applies a filter at the moment, which i can't seem to be able to turn off.

Ideally i'd love to see the option to set an internal rendering resolution, like other games often do, while keeping the actual output window at high resolution, but i guess this is something for far beyond 1.0.

Gadel

Re: Playing at 320x200

Post by Gadel »

hum... well... i dont really get u here...
If u wanna play original resolution... well play daggerfall original winwowed dosbox ? no ?
I dont mean to be rude here. but i guess it's quite simple to do.

U can also play daggerfall unity in windowed mode with a lower resolution 640X480 and since texture are higher res... u will have the same "feeling" i guess...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Änd I absolutelly get you, DFU is uncomparably better than vanilla Daggefall, no way I will ever play the original with tons of the flaws and bugs and low draw distance and and and.

Windowed is out of equation, because 320x200 looks smaller than a cellphone display on a FullHD display windowed, let alone anything with a bigger res.

Id like to see this as well

Maybe look here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1743

Im not sure what happens if you set 320 x 200 to the ini

MAybe try it and come back with a feedback

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

There is a method of taking the output of the main camera and feeding it into a smaller RenderTexture and making that your new screen output which is how this Unity asset works.

Not out of the realm of possibilities, but its not something I would be able to do.

pango

Post by pango »

MasonFace wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm There is a method of taking the output of the main camera and feeding it into a smaller RenderTexture and making that your new screen output which is how this Unity asset works.
This is likely to give terrible results.
320x200 is very low, all texts will be unreadable, etc. It only works in the original game because it's rendering directly at that resolution...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Khrome wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm Going 320x200 and then fullscreen still applies a filter at the moment, which i can't seem to be able to turn off.
Hmm, sure IK knows more about this but what kind of filter do you mean? Are you sure it's not just your monitor scaling algorithm or the video filter not being set to point?

I just tried it and it looked awful & unreadable until I switched off SDF font rendering and video filter setting from trilinear to point.

EDIT: Ah, it changed the resolution to 640x480 for me when I used the settings menu. I have no idea why everything looks blurry then, with a point filter it should look blocky. It's not the monitor since it's using native res and scaling from what I can see. Will need to leave this for IK...
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Khrome

Post by Khrome »

Gadel wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:23 pm hum... well... i dont really get u here...
If u wanna play original resolution... well play daggerfall original winwowed dosbox ? no ?
I dont mean to be rude here. but i guess it's quite simple to do.

U can also play daggerfall unity in windowed mode with a lower resolution 640X480 and since texture are higher res... u will have the same "feeling" i guess...
DFU has a LOT of fixes (draw distance, bug fixes but especially movement, which is stiff as fuck in the original) as well as more than 6 saves. It's a nobrainer to use DFU when its available :)
pango wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 pm
MasonFace wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm There is a method of taking the output of the main camera and feeding it into a smaller RenderTexture and making that your new screen output which is how this Unity asset works.
This is likely to give terrible results.
320x200 is very low, all texts will be unreadable, etc. It only works in the original game because it's rendering directly at that resolution...
I've tried it: You have to disable SDF font rendering to get the oldschool chunky font back. Everything is, at least to me, easily readable. The UI looks fine (aside from the status icon, which is way oversized for some reason), it's only the world which gets blurred.
Hazelnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:20 pm
Khrome wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm Going 320x200 and then fullscreen still applies a filter at the moment, which i can't seem to be able to turn off.
Hmm, sure IK knows more about this but what kind of filter do you mean? Are you sure it's not just your monitor scaling algorithm or the video filter not being set to point?

I just tried it and it looked awful & unreadable until I switched off SDF font rendering and video filter setting from trilinear to point.

EDIT: Ah, it changed the resolution to 640x480 for me when I used the settings menu. I have no idea why everything looks blurry then, with a point filter it should look blocky. It's not the monitor since it's using native res and scaling from what I can see. Will need to leave this for IK...
I think it's because of the point filter. It's still a filter, as i understand it, a nearest neighbour blur.
King of Worms wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm Änd I absolutelly get you, DFU is uncomparably better than vanilla Daggefall, no way I will ever play the original with tons of the flaws and bugs and low draw distance and and and.

Windowed is out of equation, because 320x200 looks smaller than a cellphone display on a FullHD display windowed, let alone anything with a bigger res.

Maybe look here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1743

I'll be trying this and report back.

Khrome

Post by Khrome »

King of Worms wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm Änd I absolutelly get you, DFU is uncomparably better than vanilla Daggefall, no way I will ever play the original with tons of the flaws and bugs and low draw distance and and and.

Maybe look here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1743

Same issues, sadly. The point filter is not a "no filter" option, so everything remains rather blurry.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Damn, I want to see it in 320x200 as well, and sharp pixels. It will become a thing for sure. If we aiming for a parity with old Daggerfall - and we do - than running at the original resolution is a must.

Me personally - I would turn all mods ON and than do the 320 resolution :)

I experiment with very low res in modern games as well. Its the 90s gamer fetish I guess.

The sweet 320x200 ❤

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There are two stages to unpack here:
  1. If you set your resolution to 320x200, then Daggerfall Unity renders everything into a true 320x200 framebuffer.
  2. This is then presented to your display, which at fullscreen is scaled over the entire display area. Daggerfall Unity uses a bordlerless fullscreen window, not exclusive resolution. The scaling here is done by Unity and your GPU.
The texture filtering option you see in settings controls how textures are sampled in stage 1. Point filtering is just good old nearest-neighbour sampling.

The presentation in stage 2 requires the render to be scaled over your display surface. Unity itself (via the GPU) seems to use a bilinear or similar sampler to do this scaling. This is what results in the CRT-like blur over the whole display. I'm unaware of a way to change this step to use nearest-neighbour, which would result in a more 1:1 appearance with the render generated in stage 1.

But it's important for everyone to understand that Daggerfall Unity is rendering a true 320x200 framebuffer. I have intentionally built the game this way from the start. The issue is one of presentation as that render output is scaled to your actual display area, which is necessary if you want fullscreen. This is something done by Unity itself, and I don't believe we have any control over this. If I become aware of a way to control this, and it's not too involved, I'd be happy to add the support into DFU.