mundane, everyday diseases

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

mundane, everyday diseases

Post by meritamas »

In Classic Daggerfall, all diseases are fatal, every time (except for Stomach Rot, it seems).

Perhaps it would be nice to have more less dangerous diseases, which could last just a couple of days or weeks and would (generally) heal by themselves. Perhaps an innate ability (immune system) that could enable the sick character to spontaneously recover from a disease. Like a certain chance every hour that you are healed - could depend on the disease and/or your race or on other factors...

...or diseases you could contract under certain circumstances. I mean like without confronting enemies, from sleeping on the ground under adverse conditions or by being in certain specific areas (diseases could even be named after the area you can catch them in).

What do you think?
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

stampedo

Re: mundane, everyday diseases

Post by stampedo »

Sounds good, I like it :)

meritamas

Re: mundane, everyday diseases

Post by meritamas »

Thanks for the feedback. So, to phrase the ideas in a bit more structured way.

(1) First, there could be more kinds of diseases, mainly 'non-deadly' ones (whatever 'non-deadly' might end up meaning). These could be contracted
(1a) from enemies.
(1b) from doing something that makes you susceptible to them (like sleeping outside in winter time, especially in mountains)
(1c) from being in certain a place for a certain amount of time (e.g. simply being in some dungeons might make some character sick)

(2) Second, the idea of an immune system: the ability of the character's body to naturally heal itself. This could be represented by
(2a) a certain probability that a given disease gets healed every hour. This probability could depend on
- the character's resistance to disease
- whether (and where) the character is resting
- the fatigue level (being tired lowers the chance of healing)
- the disease in question ('more deadly' diseases tend to heal less)

(2b) an impact the aforementioned circumstances could have on the progression of a disease. Like
- the higher the resistance to the disease, the slower a disease would progress
- rest, especially at places with good conditions could slow down progression,
- being fatigued could speed up progression
- some diseases could progress much faster than others

(3) Third (I am adding this new one now), the diseases might have 'cures', alchemical ingredients or potions the ingestion of which could slow, reverse the progression of a disease or even cure it.

(4) With a more sophisticated disease system certain modifications to alchemy and spell effects might also be in order - it might be better to make all or just certain diseases much harder to cure magically, increasing the value of Alchemy.

I will try not to forget to come back here from time to time to develop the idea further. Anyone any good ideas, please add. Thanks.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.