Travel Log

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Liquidsolidus9000

Travel Log

Post by Liquidsolidus9000 »

I think it'd be cool to have a travel log that marks what towns/cities you leave and exit, and the times. (It could be an additional page to the quest log)

I've been playing with the "Tedious Travel" mod, that encourages you to actually visit nearby villages to rest on your journey, and after a while, those villages/towns can sort of blur together, so it'd be cool being able to actually pull up a log of all of the places you've passed by in your travels.

Something like -

12:23 7th of First seed - Entered Gothway Garden in Daggerfall
10:30 8th of First seed - Exited Gothway Garden in Daggerfall
21:12 8th of First seed - Entered Daggerfall in Daggerfall

Narf the Mouse

Re: Travel Log

Post by Narf the Mouse »

This idea seems somewhat barebones; it gives times and dates, but no context. Perhaps if you could click to expand? For example:

-Visited Daggerfall City
..-Visited Bob's Armoury
....+Sold 1234gp worth of item(s).
....-Bought 2500gp worth of item(s).
......Bought Elven Katana.
..-Visited Fighter's Guild
....Slept in Fighter's Guild 11 hours.
....+Received quest to kill bear in Gothway Garden
..+Etc.
+Visited Gothway Garden.
..Killed quest target (bear).
..+Visited The Ded Bear Inn.
+Visited Daggerfall City.
+etc.

Where '+' are expandable nodes, and '-' are collapsible nodes. It should be doable by writing out a text log with indenting, and using the indents as meta-information about parent->child node relationships.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Johnny4Handsome

Post by Johnny4Handsome »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:32 am -Visited Daggerfall City
..-Visited Bob's Armoury
....+Sold 1234gp worth of item(s).
....-Bought 2500gp worth of item(s).
......Bought Elven Katana.
..-Visited Fighter's Guild
....Slept in Fighter's Guild 11 hours.
....+Received quest to kill bear in Gothway Garden
..+Etc.
I really like that expansion on the idea. It would be a great addition for a more mercantile styled character, keeping track of your profits and expenses. Curious if you could include a medical record into it as well...

Ex:
-Entered Privateer's Hold
..-Contracted Stomach Rot
-Entered Gothway Garden
..-Entered Temple of Mara
...-Cured Stomach Rot

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Johnny4Handsome wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:53 am I really like that expansion on the idea. It would be a great addition for a more mercantile styled character, keeping track of your profits and expenses. Curious if you could include a medical record into it as well...

Ex:
-Entered Privateer's Hold
..-Contracted Stomach Rot
-Entered Gothway Garden
..-Entered Temple of Mara
...-Cured Stomach Rot
Yes, definitely. The easiest method would probably be hooking into the game's existing callback system with (travel) logging functions.

Ultimately, this is the sort of thing where, provided the callback exists to hook into, adding it is harder than it is difficult. (each function would almost certainly be a single line, but there would be a lot of functions to write, and any added system means new functions)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.