Temples : Healing and cure poison services to non members

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Cliffworms

Temples : Healing and cure poison services to non members

Post by Cliffworms »

I recently played with a character with a weakness to poison. In a heartbeat, I quickly died from poison thanks to a rogue I encountered.

It would be a good idea to add healing and cure poison services to the NPCs who also cure diseases. An option to basically cure everything on you.

Right now, the only way to cure a poison is by using a potion, if you're lucky enough to find one as loot if you can't brew it, or by using a spell if you're good enough to cast it.

Making temples a truly safe haven where you can get cured of all afflications would be beneficial I believe. Would that be possible to be modded in?

Also, I find it strange that there are no spell sellers in temples. Do all healers thus get their spells from the Mages Guild? What about the School of Julianos, sworn enemies of the Mages Guild? It'd be nice to have merchants who sell restoration spells along with the spells of the magic schools taught by each religion's trainers.

pango

Re: Temples : Healing and cure poison services to non members

Post by pango »

Poison... even a monastery is not always enough... ;)
101936164_o.jpg
101936164_o.jpg (311.75 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
But yeah, I know what you mean, poisons can be nasty in Daggerfall
I, too, was surprised that temples don't cure poisons
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Not a bad idea but I don't think it should be all of them, maybe Dibella and Mara temples. An option for the dark brotherhood to offer this service would make sense as well. The thing is it is unlikely you would be poisoned any where near a location where they could help so you would likely not survive the travel.

Many of the temples allow you to buy potions once you reach a certain reputation. I would say your build could definitely benefit from it, temple of Zen is probably the easiest one I found to gain and maintain faction with. I do think that weaknesses should be evaluated on how much they move the arrow during creation as some are much more difficult to deal with then others.

I know that at a certain reputation temple of Julianus has a spell maker I just figured they had someone that sold the spells. I usually just went with the mages guild for magic users but will have to explore a priest of Julianos build. You can buy pre-made spells from the mages guild as a nonmember but I could get if you didn't want to for role playing reasons.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Good idea about joining Zenithar. It fits roleplaying purposes, having a thief join a group of money-hoarding zealots. They even teach you how to pick pockets! :lol:

I always thought that temples would be the to-go places for all your medical needs. On several holidays, they even give free healing, but that's only limited to diseases. I understand you normally don't have long to live when you find out you've been poisoned, but I find it odd that healers, whose job is to, well, heal, won't do anything for poisoned people.

It's also odd that they do not restore attributes to non-members. Imagine some rich noble, struck by some curse and barely able to walk, being refused to have his strength restored because he isn't a member. I think that it'd go a long way to the temples to earn money by healing any afflications. Especially Zenithar's greedy priests. ;)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I understand what you are saying it is an odd design decision how poisons where implemented. I am not sure how much it was even noticed in classic as many got around them using the magic immunity stops poison and paralyze. They are very noticeable how powerful they are in DFU which is a good reason to get at least to the point where you can buy potions from a faction.

The only thing I can think on the attributes is it gives a use for the heal attributes spells. Your example of the rich merchant is good but they would likely hire someone or rather send someone to hire a person who could cast heal strength.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So, am I right in thinking that the situation regarding poisons before getting access to potions/spells is certain death then?

Then for those that don't join DB or do magic and join Julianos temple have no access to curing poison at all? (all other temples sell/make potions or spells)

Just trying to be sure I understand the discussion here..
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

That's almost that.

To buy potions, the only places to go are the Dark Brotherhood, Akatosh, Arkay, Dibella, Mara, Stendarr and Zenithar temples. But you need to be a member. Julianos and Kynareth do not sell potions.

If you don't/can't join those guilds, you need to be a magic user skilled enough to cast a cure poison spell.

If you also can't cast spells, the only thing to do is hope to find a cure poison potion in random loot.
So, yes, if you don't qualify for any of the above and you don't find cure poison potions in loot, you're always facing death. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm tempted to add a custom cure poison service to Archaeologists guild mod... although it will be very expensive (10k?) to any non-members and quite pricey (5k?) for low ranks. But what price life eh?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

The banks will see a rise in loans. They'llbe every happy if you do that. ;)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:27 pm So, am I right in thinking that the situation regarding poisons before getting access to potions/spells is certain death then?

Then for those that don't join DB or do magic and join Julianos temple have no access to curing poison at all? (all other temples sell/make potions or spells)

Just trying to be sure I understand the discussion here..
Well it depends on the poison some drop your attributes dramatically which while not a direct cause of a death can definitely add to it occurring. Personally I would like some kind of system implemented tied into the alchemy stores where you can either just out right buy a potion or by a modified potion maker that can only make the base line cure potions not any of the buff or heal ones. I have been watching a lot of let plays just to see how others might do things and react to DFU, I have yet to watch one where the person didn't go into an alchemy shop expecting to buy a potion.