Make found maps more interesting.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
biz633

Make found maps more interesting.

Post by biz633 »

What if when you find a map as treasure, it doesn't just reveal a location but it creates a quest for that dungeon that has a single item of high value in one of the spawn locations. Maybe to prevent complications with another quest, the maps can be kept and "using" one would prompt a yes or no quest. Making maps receivable as rewards for other quests would be a cool bonus. And, if it was possible, make the dungeon and/or treasure a couple levels higher.

Ommamar

Re: Make found maps more interesting.

Post by Ommamar »

I remember getting a quest that was similar to what you are suggesting but the tavern proprietor had found the map and asked me to investigate the dungeon. Unfortunately I had 4 or 5 others things going on so the quest timer lapsed before I could get to it.
I think the foundation for what you want to do is already present, so a mod would be possible to implement.

biz633

Post by biz633 »

Maybe it could be handled like a guild?
When you find a map, the info simply says map and when you use it the quest would trigger asking if you would like to follow the map.
A "yes" would chain to the quest giving you a dungeon and a "no" would just remove the map from your inventory.
Another quest given by someone else would override it and you would have 30, 60, or 90 days to complete it.
Whatever area you are in when you use the map is where the dungeon location would generate.
Find the treasure and that completes the quest just like an artifact quest.

I would think that at the least should be possible.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

There's no shortage of dungeon quests already in the game. What needs to be added is wilderness gameplay. DF has massive amounts of unpopulated forest and no reason to ever venture into it. Treasure maps should have coordinates to a world location, which the player, using a shovel and sextant or something, can navigate to and unearth some random treasure. Maybe the chests are locked and require lockpicking skills, maybe 2 wraiths come out of the chest too.

biz633

Post by biz633 »

A map to a generated land marker that leads you to an out of place plant where you might be able to dig?
Maybe the map leads you to a trap?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:53 am There's no shortage of dungeon quests already in the game. What needs to be added is wilderness gameplay. DF has massive amounts of unpopulated forest and no reason to ever venture into it. Treasure maps should have coordinates to a world location, which the player, using a shovel and sextant or something, can navigate to and unearth some random treasure. Maybe the chests are locked and require lockpicking skills, maybe 2 wraiths come out of the chest too.
ESO as an interesting system if you want to take the time to explore it where the maps are land marks you have to try and identify with an x showing where the treasure is. A system like that would be difficult to implement as DFU doesn't have very good recognizable land marks, I think though is you included a riddle based on the lore that you could access in your log after you used the map would be a fun way to go. This way the dungeon/town/ruin/shrine might be the starting point but you would have to decipher the riddle then follow the directions to find a treasure in the wilderness.

DeltaOfPie

Post by DeltaOfPie »

I find the map idea very interesting...
Would be interesting if you could tie all the "map" things to fraction aspect of daggerfall... depending on the fraction that drops the map there is some kind of "mission" tied to sabotage other guilds, or maybe some kind of bigger treasure, or some gold rush that is going on in tamriel, you just happen to stumble over it... (Or maybe vampires/werewolfs trying to usurp tamriel...)

I think maybe regarding "vampires" dropping maps, there is a big chance to expand on the lore... Maybe you could also make it a quest track where you could acquire "vampirism" without needed to expose yourself to vampire hits all the time (this would add a viable way for "Mad Genius" plays like in Adventurers Art to end the game even with non fighting characters)...