So, here some examples of new sounds, grouped by area, which I think would greatly improve the immersivity:
--player character sounds
- different step sounds depending on the ground: hard pavement, grass, snow, sand, watery. Currently, there's only a sound for inside (building, dungeons, ...) or outside (which sounds like walking on sand). This lead to odd situations: walk on the upper deck of your ship, and it will sound like it's made of sand, instead of wood . But just walk inside, and it will sounds like walking on wood
- Heavier steps when running: when you run, you literrally fall heavily on each foot, thus making more noise. Maybe, if you're running out of stamina, also the sound of your breath increasing...
- different horse/cart step sounds depending on the ground: hard pavement, grass, snow, sand, watery. Same as for player walking. Currently, it just sounds horses are always walking on hard ground.
- jumping sound: it's really odd now, currently jumping it's completely silent. A sound jump like, say, Oblivion, would be nice.
- deep breath after exiting underwater, or very deep breath after exiting underwater with little oxygen remaining. This one should be self explaining
- at night, in the wilderness: a wolf howls, a bell tolls, owl hoots, crow caws, a ghostly wail, a distant unearthly moan, a despairing cry: basically what dungeons descriptions already suggest Why not making it randomly sounds in the wilderness? It should be super creepy!
- bells marking the time in city with temples:
- at 9am, the bells toll 9 times
- at noon, the bells toll 12 times
- at 3pm, the bells toll 3 times
- at 6pm, the bells toll 6 times
bells in town have always marked the passing of time. It's both useful and really immersive. Maybe on holidays, they should also sound to celebrate! Obviously, a joyous chime!
- near fire/fireplace, a fire cracking sound: currently fireplaces are completely silent. It's really, really sad....
- on a ship: wood cracking, sound of water and waves. Everyone who has been on board a wooden ship knows these sounds. Currently you here none of them. Oddly, if it's night, you hear crickets. You can only see water, but you can't hear it, or hear the ship you're on. Just crickets, crickets everywhere
--sounds expanding other mods
There are plenty of excellent mods alreay for DFU, I think that maybe they could be enriched making possible for this new hypotetical sound mod to add sound events to them. For example
Roleplay and Realism:
- horses galloping (badabomp, silence, badabomp, silence), not fast trotting (clip clap clip clap clip clap, just faster). I had explained the details here:
- depending on wind strength, sound increasing from a gentle breeze to a howling wind in the most extreme weather.
- appropriate birds of prey screams, when they appear in the sky