mod suggestion: visual miss and damage numbers.

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
hello

mod suggestion: visual miss and damage numbers.

Post by hello »

when you're fighting enemies some play a parry sound when you don't hit them. others will not have any indicator at all and you feel like: what's going on, are my arrows going to an alternate dimension?
i would love a mod to display "Miss" in text at the location of the mob when you hit them "physically", but your attack misses.
displayed damage numbers would be great too. there could be like a white text, black border floating up and increasing in transparency until its gone, like display it for 0.5-1 second or so.
if you really want to go ham with it, you could maybe alternate the color of the damage numbers based on which element the player uses to damage the enemy. like red for fire, blue for ice, yellow for lightning, green for poison..

seems really cool in my mind.
if you make something like this hit me up with your paypal i'll shoot some money your way for a beer or something :D

jayhova

Re: mod suggestion: visual miss and damage numbers.

Post by jayhova »

I proposed a textual indicator for these things Verbose Combat
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I already have this in my combat mod as a debug feature; When I first started coding this, I had to put this in to even know what was happening with the raycasts and hit detection.

I can easily add a menu trigger so you can turn on a message like this when you hit but don't actually do a successful hit roll, since it already is there. Just needs the trigger dropped in.

However, I think I can find a better visual way of indicating an actual dodge when this happens. But, if you prefer old school TT RPG style mechanics, yes, I'll drop in a menu option for combat verbose feedback like this.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

hello

Post by hello »

l3lessed wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:40 pm I already have this in my combat mod as a debug feature; When I first started coding this, I had to put this in to even know what was happening with the raycasts and hit detection.

I can easily add a menu trigger so you can turn on a message like this when you hit but don't actually do a successful hit roll, since it already is there. Just needs the trigger dropped in.

However, I think I can find a better visual way of indicating an actual dodge when this happens. But, if you prefer old school TT RPG style mechanics, yes, I'll drop in a menu option for combat verbose feedback like this.
sounds great. any chance you could release something like this as a standalone mod?
or does it depend on your new combat system to work at all?

another question: will it work for arrows and spells too?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I believe arrows. Not sure for magic.

As of now, it's built directly into my engine build. I am planning on breaking a part my engine mods into individual mods, once I get a good stable build out.

When that happens, I will move to trying to build the hi-frame animations into an actual independent mod file.

I'll put this on the top of that list too. This, I imagine would be a super easy stand alone mod to make because I merely need to pull the roll chance outcome from the base script file, and then trigger a quick if then switch that pumps out the message.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

My idea was to have a text rather than visual indicator of hits and misses. This is especially for new players who start swinging and are frustrated that they do not land a blow. With this you would at least get some indication that you are doing something.

I was planning on allowing a number of settings. The first would be a number between 0-10. 0=off and 10=blow by blow narration. Five would for instance give feedback about half the time. Every creature can have its own special set of narrations as well as classes of creatures. Classes are arbitrary groups. Any creature can be a member of any number of groups. Vampires for instance could be members of undead, humanoids, powerful creatures, male humanoids, nocturnal creatures, vampires, etc. Each of these categories might have any number of narrations. e.g. "The undead thing before you shrugs off your blow that would kill a living creature" Or "He quickly evades your blow" or "Tough armor turns your weapon aside"

There could be weapon specific narrations and narrations for damage amounts and special situations. e.g. "Your devastating blow kills you opponent in a single strike!" or "You hear the satisfying crunch of bone as your weapon smashes into your enemy"

hello

Post by hello »

i don't think this would really work in daggerfall. just have numbers and a "miss" text.
especially on higher speed values having text would get ridiculous and unreadable anyway

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

hello wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:46 pm i don't think this would really work in daggerfall. just have numbers and a "miss" text.
especially on higher speed values having text would get ridiculous and unreadable anyway
You are of course quite right. However, my thought was to make the spam rate controllable with a spam setting 0-10. 0 being off (no feedback at all), 10 being on for every swing and 5 being a message about half the time. There would also be a bias setting to limit the number of complex messages. "Hit", "Miss" and "No target" being the simplest. The more strict the bias setting the fewer big messages you would receive. Again, a setting of 0 would mean no large messages and 10 would weight messages of any length equally. A setting of 5 would give you shortish messages about half the time.

To a great extent, your settings for VC would be dependent on your reflex settings.