[Feature request] Enemies fall damage

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

[Feature request] Enemies fall damage

Post by pango »

I don't think enemies took fall damage in classic, but I feel this is somewhat missing.
It feels both not logical, and somewhat sad, as killing enemies by pushing them over edges would certainly feel satisfying. That would be a tactic to use sparingly though, unless you're okay with going down to check the loot, or don't care about the loot at the moment.
One unknown is whether the fall damage formula that applies to the player would be okay to make it an efficient way to kill monsters...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

l3lessed

Re: [Feature request] Enemies fall damage

Post by l3lessed »

If someone doesn't get to this before me, I'm sure I could easily add it in when I start coding the enemy combat stuff for my mod. I agree, fall damage is a must for immersive combat. You should be able to back an enemy to a ledge and than push them over with a good hit; nothing more satisfying than watching an enemy fly over a ledge and fall to their death as they look up at you in terror. Not to mention, if I can get in some form of a shield bash/kick attack that does lower damage but much more pushing and interrupts attacks.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

And it's a brilliant strategic move. If you're just not strong enough to beat that darn skeleton, you can toss it off the edge and let nature do the work for you.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

It's certainly a good idea! :)

But, I was also wondering, what about humanoid enemies that falls into water: shouldn't they drown at some point? I remember a playthrough by Tamrielle where a sorcerer (main quest target) fell into water, and stay there indefinetely :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I was thinking about this the other day while in a dungeon with a lot of platforms that I had knocked enemies off of but didn't hurt them. I remember how great it was the first time I saw a rat splat against a wall when I knocked him back ward into it. I am not sure if I have seen it replicated in DFU so maybe there is no collision detection implemented yet. I think if enemies made contact with objects it would solve the problem of fall damage.

Sorcerer in the water doesn't bother me to much as I would assume they have spells to deal with being under water just like I do, although the infinite magic they often seem to have is annoying. What really annoys me is when a bat, rat, bear, or tiger is hanging out under the water.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 pm If someone doesn't get to this before me, I'm sure I could easily add it in when I start coding the enemy combat stuff for my mod. I agree, fall damage is a must for immersive combat. You should be able to back an enemy to a ledge and than push them over with a good hit; nothing more satisfying than watching an enemy fly over a ledge and fall to their death as they look up at you in terror. Not to mention, if I can get in some form of a shield bash/kick attack that does lower damage but much more pushing and interrupts attacks.
I'm behind this 100%! I especially like the idea of the bash or kick, especially if it can be bound to a quick kick key.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Fall dmg, collision dmg (MOB hits the wall hard) and drowning - everything sounds very reasonable and I would be glad to have that ingame for sure
PS: Ok sorcerer can cast in water but other humans? Should drown as well, and that damn sorcerer with em! :twisted:

pango

Post by pango »

I submitted a PR for enemies fall damage
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart