[Feature request] Better spells visual (and audio?) feedback

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
pango

[Feature request] Better spells visual (and audio?) feedback

Post by pango »

This is something I mentioned a long time ago, but that is still relevant: it's currently very hard for caster classes to know when they actually hit things. It may even be hidding bugs right now.

At the very least DFU should implement enemies knock back on (destruction) spells hits, like classic.
But I think it would really help to go a bit further; It doesn't need to be visually stunning, even NPCs just flashing when hit by spells would go a long way. Some visual feedback of AoE's could also be welcome.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Re: [Feature request] Better spells visual (and audio?) feedback

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm This is something I mentioned a long time ago, but that is still relevant: it's currently very hard for caster classes to know when they actually hit things. It may even be hidding bugs right now.

At the very least DFU should implement enemies knock back on (destruction) spells hits, like classic.
But I think it would really help to go a bit further; It doesn't need to be visually stunning, even NPCs just flashing when hit by spells would go a long way. Some visual feedback of AoE's could also be welcome.
Part pf the idea behind Verbose Combat is to give the player feedback on whether or not arrows and spells actually reached their target and did damage.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

pango wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm This is something I mentioned a long time ago, but that is still relevant: it's currently very hard for caster classes to know when they actually hit things. It may even be hidding bugs right now.

I agree, using Destruction spells often I've found out that:
  • Target at Range spells are great, because you see the projectile and visually understand if you hit the target.
  • On touch spells are awful, because you haven't got any indication if you hit the target, and are also bugged: lots of cast, very few damage delivered.
  • Area around Caster are ok, because you get an approximate idea if you hit the target: if they light up, they should probably being hit. However, often it's bugged, miss the target (even if very near) and you need several casts to kill basic enemies. This means you have to waste lots of magicka :roll:
I've never used Area at Range, because they're to expensive for my taste.

I think that some visual feedback for target being hit by spells is a necessity for spellcasting. Of course, something fancy would be better, but it's not fundamental now.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Firebrand wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 pm

I agree, using Destruction spells often I've found out that:
  • Target at Range spells are great, because you see the projectile and visually understand if you hit the target.
  • On touch spells are awful, because you haven't got any indication if you hit the target, and are also bugged: lots of cast, very few damage delivered.
  • Area around Caster are ok, because you get an approximate idea if you hit the target: if they light up, they should probably being hit. However, often it's bugged, miss the target (even if very near) and you need several casts to kill basic enemies. This means you have to waste lots of magicka :roll:
I've never used Area at Range, because they're to expensive for my taste.

I think that some visual feedback for target being hit by spells is a necessity for spellcasting. Of course, something fancy would be better, but it's not fundamental now.
The only time I have really used Area at Range is if I have spell absorption as part of the build. I have experimented a little bit using the spell version of it as a secondary but to little return for the spell cost. I agree that destruction targeting and hit response needs some work but the developers now of the miss issue and it looks like the rest will be handled by mods.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

It would be super cool to have this kind of particle effects from Unity Particle Pack added to spells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAHIKxu7pnw

:o :o :o :o :o :o

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Firebrand wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:46 pm It would be super cool to have this kind of particle effects from Unity Particle Pack added to spells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAHIKxu7pnw

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Yes please!!!

pango

Post by pango »

That's the kind of things that could be added by a mod, because I suspect it'll clash with plain classic textures.
Particles behavior will have to be tested when mixed with the flat surfaces of billboards too.

That's why I didn't insist on better feedback needing to be stunning, along with the extra work needed; Plain blinks, lights or outlines could be sufficient and help a great deal to know when/what spells hit.
-- Charles Goodhart

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

pango wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:14 am That's the kind of things that could be added by a mod, because I suspect it'll clash with plain classic textures.
Particles behavior will have to be tested when mixed with the flat surfaces of billboards too.

That's why I didn't insist on better feedback needing to be stunning, along with the extra work needed; Plain blinks, lights or outlines could be sufficient and help a great deal to know when/what spells hit.
I see you point :)

So, basic effects integrated in DFU core to give the player a much needed visual/audio feedback about spellcasting (which currently is, in some cases, almost non-existent).

On the other hand, a Spellcasting Visual Overhaul mod (let's call him S.V.O. to be brief :lol: ) based for example on Unity Particle Pack, which could be a perfect complement for DREAM.

Now we just need volunteers to implement it :lol: ;)

pango

Post by pango »

It seems the on touch destruction spells, at least, can result in blood splatter like melee weapons and archery:
Example. a streamer killing the first rat in Privateers Hold using the default Shock spell:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareResilientPlumSquadGoals
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I launched classic again to demonstrate spells knock back effect (tested with fireball):
-- Charles Goodhart